• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor tail-less Lolly Hop.

Sammysdct

Young Bun
So it started off as a normal morning. Hubby had already taken Amie to school, Mary was sat at the table eating her breakfast and watching Youtube Kids on her tablet. Lolly had had her breakfast and was enjoying her morning run around the living room. I'm backwards and forwards doing my early morning chores. I walk back into the living room and see a fair sized piece of rabbit fluff sitting in the middle of the floor. I pick it up and there seems to be something else on it, scab or skin like. Concerned I call over Lolly, who is just running about. I notice her tail seems shorter.

So I get a bunny biscuit and call her over so I can check further. When I look at her tail I nearly scream. It was half its usual size and there was a red, bloody stick like protrusion where her beautiful fluffy tail should be. I call the emergency vet. As its quite a distance away in rush hour traffic, they agree that I should wait the 15 mins for my local vets to open. Panicking I call hubby at work and put him on stand by. They manage to fit her in in 1/2hr time & hubby races home from work. I upset Mary by forcefully getting her dressed and off we all go to vets. Making sure I had plenty of treats for Lolly (and Mary, she's only 3 & I yanked her away from breakfast).

At the vets Both of my girls were absolute stars. Mary didn't create in the waiting room, even when I left her with hubby to take Lolly in to vets (She normally insists on following me everywhere). Lolly was great. With her teats she didn't bat an eye at the inspection, nor when they shaved her fur at the back. She sure did jump when they cleaned it up with iodine though. But again, for a rabbit whom I've had for less than 3 weeks, and I can't really pick up yet, she did amazing. She has been prescribed painkillers, antibiotic and I've been given some iodine to clean her stump with.

Giving her the medicine was really easy, she likes the painkiller and just licked it straight out of the syringe. Didn't like the antibiotic, but ate the little dandelion leaf parcel I put in.

I'd appreciate ANY advise on cleaning her tail with the iodine though. It was only yesterday that she actually jumped onto my lap and stayed there whilst I petted her. She's never done this before, and I'm worried that too much man handling during the 'friend making' stage will make her scared of me. Obviously its got to be done, but how to do it with the least stress for Lolly?

I am so upset looking at her stump :cry:. Thankfully she doesn't seem to even notice it and is her usual self. It bothers me even more not knowing how it happened.

Does anyone have any idea how she could have done it? I am absolutely puzzled. The wound seemed fresh but no-one was anywhere near her, and the fluff was in the middle of the floor.

So it started off as a normal morning. Hubby had already taken Amie to school, Mary was sat at the table eating her breakfast and watching Youtube Kids on her tablet. Lolly had had her breakfast and was enjoying her morning run around the living room. I'm backwards and forwards doing my early morning chores. I walk back into the living room and see a fair sized piece of rabbit fluff sitting in the middle of the floor. I pick it up and there seems to be something else on it, scab or skin like. Concerned I call over Lolly, who is just running about. I notice her tail seems shorter.

So I get a bunny biscuit and call her over so I can check further. When I look at her tail I nearly scream. It was half its usual size and there was a red, bloody stick like protrusion where her beautiful fluffy tail should be. I call the emergency vet. As its quite a distance away in rush hour traffic, they agree that I should wait the 15 mins for my local vets to open. Panicking I call hubby at work and put him on stand by. They manage to fit her in in 1/2hr time & hubby races home from work. I upset Mary by forcefully getting her dressed and off we all go to vets. Making sure I had plenty of treats for Lolly (and Mary, she's only 3 & I yanked her away from breakfast).

At the vets Both of my girls were absolute stars. Mary didn't create in the waiting room, even when I left her with hubby to take Lolly in to vets (She normally insists on following me everywhere). Lolly was great. With her teats she didn't bat an eye at the inspection, nor when they shaved her fur at the back. She sure did jump when they cleaned it up with iodine though. But again, for a rabbit whom I've had for less than 3 weeks, and I can't really pick up yet, she did amazing. She has been prescribed painkillers, antibiotic and I've been given some iodine to clean her stump with.

Giving her the medicine was really easy, she likes the painkiller and just licked it straight out of the syringe. Didn't like the antibiotic, but ate the little dandelion leaf parcel I put in.

I'd appreciate ANY advise on cleaning her tail with the iodine though. It was only yesterday that she actually jumped onto my lap and stayed there whilst I petted her. She's never done this before, and I'm worried that too much man handling during the 'friend making' stage will make her scared of me. Obviously its got to be done, but how to do it with the least stress for Lolly?

I am so upset looking at her stump :cry:. Thankfully she doesn't seem to even notice it and is her usual self. It bothers me even more not knowing how it happened.

Does anyone have any idea how she could have done it? I am absolutely puzzled. The wound seemed fresh but no-one was anywhere near her, and the fluff was in the middle of the floor.

Oh goodness poor Bunny :cry: It must have been a very nasty shock for all of you. I could only speculate on what may have caused the injury and really speculation isn't going to be helpful now. The important thing is that you obtained prompt Veterinary treatment for her.

As for bathing her tail, I'd time it so that you do it about an hour after giving the Metacam. Not only to give the analgesic effect a chance to kick in, but administering a NSAID before pain is induced is likely to be more effective than giving the dose once pain is established.

I'd ask your hubby to assist with the tail bathing. One of you could hold Lolly as the other bathes her tail. Obviously Lolly may not be too happy about having it done, but if you give her space afterwards and leave some tasty treats within her reach (she may refuse to take treats directly from you after having her tail bathed), I think she will come to forgive you eventually. It's a case of having to be 'cruel' to be kind, as you say the tail bathing needs to be done. I'd make sure the Iodine is quite dilute as it does sting like hell.

gosh...that must have been really traumatic for all involved. Good luck with the iodine washes & I hope she heals well

Ahh. My heart goes out to you and Lolly. Not knowing the cause must be difficult too. I don't have any experience with this particular issue, but I do agree with Jane that in time she will forgive you for doing what you must to help her to heal. If she is the type of rabbit who begs for the Medicam she may even like you more. Please keep us updated and good luck with your little ball of fur (minus just a bit).

Aww poor Lolly, that must have been such a shock to you. :shock: I'm sure you will get used to seeing her with the bit of her tail missing, one of my Pygmy goats lost his tail in an accident when he was a kid, before he came to me, at first it took a bit of getting used to but now I think it just seems to add to his cuteness :love:

Sending lots of healing vibes xx

Quick update

Just wanted to give quick update on Lolly Hop. I have been managing to do her iodine ok with a little help. Tail still looks nasty, but no signs of infection.

She had been her normal self until early this evening, when she started to tooth grind pretty visibly. Not constant, just every now and again. She has never exhibited this behavior before, so presume it was her painkiller wearing off. Luckily I was able to settle her down each time with a good petting. It's strange as if I stroke her head, then cheeks in a certain way she just hunches down, closes her eyes and tooth purrs (I think). She sometimes falls asleep like this, and even if I stop she seems to almost be in a trance for a couple of moments after I stop. (She has always done this, not just since the injury). I presume it is a pleasure, not a fear thing, as she is always free to move away if she wants, and frequently does if a noise disturbs her during.

She is only prescribed metacam once a day, so this evening I did the clean with cooled boiled water rather than the iodine. She has a check-up on monday, so hoping we will have more good news then.

Thank you for your well wishes for Lolly.

Just wanted to give quick update on Lolly Hop. I have been managing to do her iodine ok with a little help. Tail still looks nasty, but no signs of infection.

She had been her normal self until early this evening, when she started to tooth grind pretty visibly. Not constant, just every now and again. She has never exhibited this behavior before, so presume it was her painkiller wearing off. Luckily I was able to settle her down each time with a good petting. It's strange as if I stroke her head, then cheeks in a certain way she just hunches down, closes her eyes and tooth purrs (I think). She sometimes falls asleep like this, and even if I stop she seems to almost be in a trance for a couple of moments after I stop. (She has always done this, not just since the injury). I presume it is a pleasure, not a fear thing, as she is always free to move away if she wants, and frequently does if a noise disturbs her during.

She is only prescribed metacam once a day, so this evening I did the clean with cooled boiled water rather than the iodine. She has a check-up on monday, so hoping we will have more good news then.

Bless, it may be that the wound becomes a bit more painful as it heals. Maybe ask the Vet if the Metacam can be given in two 12 hourly doses rather than once a day. Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam (the active ingredient in Metacam) much faster than dogs or cats. So Rabbits may need more frequent dosing than every 24 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

Also, some Vets may still not prescribe a high enough dose of Metacam. The dose rate is weight dependent and most Rabbit Savvy Vets use a dose range of 0.3mg/kg/day up to 0.6mg/kg/day.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

The behaviour you describe as you pet Lolly sounds like a pleasure response. Many Bunnies love a nose rub and the soft tooth purring is a sign of pleasure. The sound being very different from the tooth grinding associated with pain.

I hope that Lolly's check up at the Vet goes well xx

Bless your little one :love:

I think that as tissues (and bone for that matter) knit together, you get pain as the nerves heal up. It can take a long time in some cases, so pain may be random for a while.

Many vets give Metacam once daily, and only twice daily in extreme circumstances. You can ask about this at the check up, if you feel it's appropriate.

Wishing you lots of good luck for your vet's check up tomorrow xx

Update: The very tip has necrotised, but should fall off on its own. About 1/2 cm or so. From my research online I was kind of expecting this as its what happens with these degloving injuries in the wild.

Just got to keep an eye to ensure that there are no infections until this happens. She is to complete her course of baytril, another 11 days, so hopefully by then she should be well on the way to recovery. I was really excited when he said her fur should regrow to hide the stump.

Now that it has died/healed over Lolly Hop doesn't appear to be experiencing any discomfort anymore. I'll give her her last days metacam tomorrow just to be on the safe side though.

Many thanks for your well wishes.

Update: The very tip has necrotised, but should fall off on its own. About 1/2 cm or so. From my research online I was kind of expecting this as its what happens with these degloving injuries in the wild.

Just got to keep an eye to ensure that there are no infections until this happens. She is to complete her course of baytril, another 11 days, so hopefully by then she should be well on the way to recovery. I was really excited when he said her fur should regrow to hide the stump.

Now that it has died/healed over Lolly Hop doesn't appear to be experiencing any discomfort anymore. I'll give her her last days metacam tomorrow just to be on the safe side though.

One of my Rabbits, the late Big Libby, degloved a toe !

*WARNING GORY IMAGE, DONT SCROLL DOWN PAGE IF SQUEAMISH*

001-34.jpg

I hope that Lolly is soon 100% mended and I am glad to hear that she is not in any discomfort now xx

I'm so pleased to hear all is going well :thumb:

Owch! Poor Lolly and poor Libby! Who knows how they manage to hurt themselves? It amazes me that rabbits in the wild survive for more than a week! I've had several mysterious injuries appear on my rabbits (and rats for that matter!) and have never found out how they have managed to hurt themselves. However, I must say the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" can very much be applied to rabbits!

Sending healing vibes for Lolly's tail. I'd also say that one dose of metacam a day won't cover her. I have 2 buns on metacam daily and I can assure you it wears off after 12 hours (sometimes even sooner) so a twice daily dose is definitely required. I'd mention that to the vet if ever you require it again. I wouldn't worry for now since it sounds like her tail is healing well. :)

Bless, it may be that the wound becomes a bit more painful as it heals. Maybe ask the Vet if the Metacam can be given in two 12 hourly doses rather than once a day. Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam (the active ingredient in Metacam) much faster than dogs or cats. So Rabbits may need more frequent dosing than every 24 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

Also, some Vets may still not prescribe a high enough dose of Metacam. The dose rate is weight dependent and most Rabbit Savvy Vets use a dose range of 0.3mg/kg/day up to 0.6mg/kg/day.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

The behaviour you describe as you pet Lolly sounds like a pleasure response. Many Bunnies love a nose rub and the soft tooth purring is a sign of pleasure. The sound being very different from the tooth grinding associated with pain.

I hope that Lolly's check up at the Vet goes well xx

Jane is right about the dosing. Also, some vets do not dose at a level as high as they could for short term usage. My vet allows me to give more Medicam for the first few days following an illness/surgery/etc., if necessary.

Back