• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nebuliser advice needed

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
Hi!

I have a snuffles bunny who's currently experiencing a bad flare up (probably the worst one ever- 4 years). We have had an emergency vet appointment this morning and got the usual medicine- septrim, metacam, bisolvon, and recovery food.

Normally when he flares up we use the nebuliser with saline, sometimes bisolvon when he's bad, max of twice a day (usually once) 15-25 minutes.

He's struggling with breathing though and I want to put him in more often (he quite likes sitting in the box). He seems better when he's in there :(

Can I have advice on how often you have used a nebuliser in a day? Also, what's the most metacam you've ever given your bunny? He's on 0.7ml once a day, weighs 2.1kg, but I don't think the vet realised how much pain he's in and I'm honestly hating the teeth grinding and shaking and knowing he's not meant to have more until tomorrow morning. I've just found a metacam thread and people have given buns of the same weight 0.7ml twice a day?

Thanks,

Jen

Hi!

I have a snuffles bunny who's currently experiencing a bad flare up (probably the worst one ever- 4 years). We have had an emergency vet appointment this morning and got the usual medicine- septrim, metacam, bisolvon, and recovery food.

Normally when he flares up we use the nebuliser with saline, sometimes bisolvon when he's bad, max of twice a day (usually once) 15-25 minutes.

He's struggling with breathing though and I want to put him in more often (he quite likes sitting in the box). He seems better when he's in there :(

Can I have advice on how often you have used a nebuliser in a day? Also, what's the most metacam you've ever given your bunny? He's on 0.7ml once a day, weighs 2.1kg, but I don't think the vet realised how much pain he's in and I'm honestly hating the teeth grinding and shaking and knowing he's not meant to have more until tomorrow morning. I've just found a metacam thread and people have given buns of the same weight 0.7ml twice a day?

Thanks,

Jen

Hello

When nebulising with just saline I have done it every 3 hours in some severe cases.

Re the Metacam, we cannot specifically advise you what dose you should give your Rabbit, only the Vet treating him can do that as it is a prescription only medication. Also, what dose to give is dependent not only on the weight of the Rabbit but also on that particular Rabbit's specific situation. Again, something only the prescribing Vet can decide.

The dose range varies considerably and you will find a reference to the ranges here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Also, you dont say whether you are using the Dog Metacam (1.5mg/ml) or the Cat Metacam (0.5mg/ml) ?

Hello

When nebulising with just saline I have done it every 3 hours in some severe cases.

Re the Metacam, we cannot specifically advise you what dose you should give your Rabbit, only the Vet treating him can do that as it is a prescription only medication. Also, what dose to give is dependent not only on the weight of the Rabbit but also on that particular Rabbit's specific situation. Again, something only the prescribing Vet can decide.

The dose range varies considerably and you will find a reference to the ranges here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Also, you dont say whether you are using the Dog Metacam (1.5mg/ml) or the Cat Metacam (0.5mg/ml) ?

Thank you for your quick reply!

It's good to know I can pop him in more often. I nebed him with bisolvon earlier but would just use saline until this evening.

He didn't see his usual vet see, he saw the emergency vet, and I think he should have been given a bigger dose. I obviously don't have a vet degree, but I also know it's important he starts eating again without me syringe feeding, and he's not going to do that when he's in pain. Fairly sure it's the dog version- it just says 100ml-1ml dispense on it.

Thanks again for your help! He's making me more nervous than usual.

Silly, poorly bunny!

Thank you for your quick reply!

It's good to know I can pop him in more often. I nebed him with bisolvon earlier but would just use saline until this evening.

He didn't see his usual vet see, he saw the emergency vet, and I think he should have been given a bigger dose. I obviously don't have a vet degree, but I also know it's important he starts eating again without me syringe feeding, and he's not going to do that when he's in pain. Fairly sure it's the dog version- it just says 100ml-1ml dispense on it.

Thanks again for your help! He's making me more nervous than usual.

Silly, poorly bunny!

Hi there

I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit.

Nebulising with plain saline can be done very frequently, if it's helping him.

Does the vet think that he is in severe pain with his snuffles? Or could something else be causing such pain?

Do you know what has caused the flare up on this occasion, and have you tried giving echinacea to stimulate his immune system to try and cope with it?

Wishing you luck xx

Thank you for your reply!

The vet just thinks it's a flare up, she checked in his mouth, ears etc. and weighed him. He is acting how he acts when the snuffles get bad, just worse. She said his chest doesn't sound good, and his nose looks sore.

I have never heard about giving echinaea to snuffle buns before, how would that work?

The last time he flared up was the same time last year. He gets all angry and hormonal in Spring (even though he is neutered). I don't know the reason for sure, but I think it could be to do with that.

Thank you! x

when matt was bad, he could have extra nebulising sessions whenever needed with just saline. the two regular times each day were always with saline and his meds.

usually metacam doses are given twice a day as it's thought with the metabolism that they only last about 12hrs anyway. so maybe something to ask the vet about. it varies so much with metacam doses but matt was on 0.8ml twice a day and he weighed 2.4kg. it really does depend on the level of inflammation in the individual.

sorry to hear of your buns flare up. this time of year was always worse for matt aswell. x

when matt was bad, he could have extra nebulising sessions whenever needed with just saline. the two regular times each day were always with saline and his meds.

usually metacam doses are given twice a day as it's thought with the metabolism that they only last about 12hrs anyway. so maybe something to ask the vet about. it varies so much with metacam doses but matt was on 0.8ml twice a day and he weighed 2.4kg. it really does depend on the level of inflammation in the individual.

sorry to hear of your buns flare up. this time of year was always worse for matt aswell. x

Thanks for your reply! We had a pretty tough night but he's feeling a lot better and he's eating leaves and some wet pellets (when encouraged).

Because she wasn't our usual vet and it was an emergency appointment I think she just gave the same he had last time from his own vet (although this time he was much, much worse than last flare up, and last time there was no obvious pain).

Do you ask for a saline version of the antibiotics from the vet or mix it yourself? I make my own saline, but I've always syringe fed the antibiotics.

Even though I think we're on the road to recovery now, all the advice has helped me feel better prepared for next time.

:)

Thanks for your reply! We had a pretty tough night but he's feeling a lot better and he's eating leaves and some wet pellets (when encouraged).

Because she wasn't our usual vet and it was an emergency appointment I think she just gave the same he had last time from his own vet (although this time he was much, much worse than last flare up, and last time there was no obvious pain).

Do you ask for a saline version of the antibiotics from the vet or mix it yourself? I make my own saline, but I've always syringe fed the antibiotics.

Even though I think we're on the road to recovery now, all the advice has helped me feel better prepared for next time.

:)

glad to hear that he is feeling better.

matt used to have his meds nebulised as it worked better for him. luckily they were both the consistency of water so easy to do. i'd also get the saline from the vets aswell in a drip bag. obviously his metacam was syringed :)

x

Back