• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny matted patch under chin

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Yesterday when on the floor with Bailey I noticed he's got a slightly matted patch of hair under his chin, it's very slight and not wet in anyway. But thinking about it he has started grooming himself a lot more recently. I thought this was due to his molt, but as this is nearly over & he's stillcleaning himself more, especially with pawing his little face, when he has a wash. I have checked his little paws and they look fine, no evidence to say their damp.

Food wise, absolutely fine.. Still eating pellets & still eating a good amount of hay. But worryingly thus morning he's been doing the odd tooth grinding, then would get up & run around. I've weighed him and he's lost a 1kg since he got neutered 8 weeks ago, I'm booking him into the vets later just for a check, but what's people's thoughts? Could this be the start of dental problems?

Xx

Could be dental problems, but good that you are getting him checked by the vet. Are you sure by the way that he's lost one whole kg?

Rabbits have a scent gland under their chin and sometimes the fur near it can become a bit oily/sticky. But a Vet check would be a good idea to rule out any possible Dental issues. Do you really mean that he has lost a full 1kg since his neuter ? That is a lot, unless he was very overweight to begin with. The weightloss is another good reason to get him checked over, good luck x

Hi guys,

Yesterday when on the floor with Bailey I noticed he's got a slightly matted patch of hair under his chin, it's very slight and not wet in anyway. But thinking about it he has started grooming himself a lot more recently. I thought this was due to his molt, but as this is nearly over & he's stillcleaning himself more, especially with pawing his little face, when he has a wash. I have checked his little paws and they look fine, no evidence to say their damp.

Food wise, absolutely fine.. Still eating pellets & still eating a good amount of hay. But worryingly thus morning he's been doing the odd tooth grinding, then would get up & run around. I've weighed him and he's lost a 1kg since he got neutered 8 weeks ago, I'm booking him into the vets later just for a check, but what's people's thoughts? Could this be the start of dental problems?

Xx

Hi Ruth :wave:

Rabbits don't usually get a matted patch under their chins, so good to get the teeth looked at. A little bit of excess saliva or slobbering would cause the matting. I hope it's nothing though :)

For a rabbit to lose 1kg in a few weeks is worrying. He wasn't a very big rabbit from what I recall ... :?

Omg guys I'm so sorry, I meant 0.1kg - that'll teach me to text under my desk at work! :( he's gone from just over 1.6kg down to just under 1.5kg, so no where near the 1kg.

He seems bright enough in himself but yeah just want to get him checked. After everything with H&H, any little thing & I worry like mad! But I know he's a mini lop and with having such a little face, dental problems is possible. It's just the way he constantly washes his little face & scratches his little checks quite abit. I did mention this to the vets when he had his neuter & they said his teeth looked fine.

Well he's booked in for 6pm tonight so we'll wait and see!

Omg guys I'm so sorry, I meant 0.1kg - that'll teach me to text under my desk at work! :( he's gone from just over 1.6kg down to just under 1.5kg, so no where near the 1kg.

He seems bright enough in himself but yeah just want to get him checked. After everything with H&H, any little thing & I worry like mad! But I know he's a mini lop and with having such a little face, dental problems is possible. It's just the way he constantly washes his little face & scratches his little checks quite abit. I did mention this to the vets when he had his neuter & they said his teeth looked fine.

0.1kg is not a problem, the difference between a full and an empty bladder really !!

As he had his teeth checked under GA and all was well it is hopefully very unlikely that he has a dental problem, but it's always a good idea to get any concerns checked out. Good luck xx

Relief on the weight front :lol:

I hope the vet can shed some light on it, especially as he's just said his teeth look fine! Things can change quite quickly with these buns though, so a really good idea to preempt anything.

Good luck! xx

Hi guys,

honestly thanks so much! Well we're back, and not too bad! His ears are fine.. All good! :) but when looking at his teeth it does look like on his left side instead of his row of teeth looking smooth, they look more like stepping stones. He doesn't have any Spurs from what we can see, and no redness anywhere but where one of his teeth is much shorter than the others, this is what could be causing him some discomfort.

Typically his little patch under his chin had completely gone and they couldn't see anything, but I have been prescribed some metacam.. For to see how he goes this week. Then we've got another appointment booked next Tuesday for us to see any difference and if not, I'll get him booked in for them to look at under GA and maybe just burr it slightly.

Hi guys,

honestly thanks so much! Well we're back, and not too bad! His ears are fine.. All good! :) but when looking at his teeth it does look like on his left side instead of his row of teeth looking smooth, they look more like stepping stones. He doesn't have any Spurs from what we can see, and no redness anywhere but where one of his teeth is much shorter than the others, this is what could be causing him some discomfort.

Typically his little patch under his chin had completely gone and they couldn't see anything, but I have been prescribed some metacam.. For to see how he goes this week. Then we've got another appointment booked next Tuesday for us to see any difference and if not, I'll get him booked in for them to look at under GA and maybe just burr it slightly.

I'm glad he's had the once over and things don't look too terrible :)

Back