• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny teeth advice

aubrey92

New Kit
My rabbit Aubrey has recently had snuffles which is pretty much cleared up. The vet said he needed his back tooth filing down, but I was told he wasn't well enough for General Anesthetic (but the other vet I saw said he was fine and wanted to do it) He has never really eaten hay but now he is eating it like crazy so my question is will his tooth grind down naturally now with the hay and not need to be done at the vets. The vet that I saw said he thought he could see a little but of bruising on his tongue but he wasn't really sure.

I am just a bit reluctant to take him as the other 2 vets I have seen haven't been very good. They have given him injections which weren't completely necessary and have messed me around a lot. With all the consultations, medication and everything else it has cost over 200 pounds (and most of the consultations were pointless).

It depends how severe the spur is and how much it is affecting bunny.

We have 5 bunnies and they are all good hay eaters but we are always told 4 of them have a small spur on their teeth. 3 of them manage without any issue and we keep the hay topped up. One of them however when he gets a spur he becomes grumpy and stops eating. Having said that he's 5 years old and has only ever had two dentals.

It's obviously best to get issues sorted sooner rather than later but if you are not happy or comfortable with the vet then its best to find one you are happy with. When we moved house the biggest factor we took into consideration was whether there was a rabbit savy vet in the area! It might be worth posting a separate thread asking for recommendations for a rabbit savy vat in your area.

Thanks for your advice, the guy vet that I have seen for both my rabbit and dog is really good and gets straight to the point it's the two women vets that mess around a lot. He's eating absolutely fine, I have an appointment Monday for Aubrey but just wanted some advice because I don't wan him to have to be stressed again going for a dental if it will be solved by eating hay again. I just don't think it's bad enough to have to go through it if the vet wasn't totally sure in the first place, if his tooth was bad I'm thinking it would be pretty obvious? But I'm obv not an expert. Thank you again for your reply

My rabbit Aubrey has recently had snuffles which is pretty much cleared up. The vet said he needed his back tooth filing down, but I was told he wasn't well enough for General Anesthetic (but the other vet I saw said he was fine and wanted to do it) He has never really eaten hay but now he is eating it like crazy so my question is will his tooth grind down naturally now with the hay and not need to be done at the vets. The vet that I saw said he thought he could see a little but of bruising on his tongue but he wasn't really sure.

I am just a bit reluctant to take him as the other 2 vets I have seen haven't been very good. They have given him injections which weren't completely necessary and have messed me around a lot. With all the consultations, medication and everything else it has cost over 200 pounds (and most of the consultations were pointless).

Very often teeth don't grind themselves down naturally with hay, though I suppose it's possible :)

I pay around £30 - £35 for a vet to file down a rabbit's teeth without GA. No risk to the rabbit, no recovery time and minimal cost. You could shop around for another vet if you felt like it?

I'm sorry - it's a predicament to know whether they will withstand a GA or not x

Back