• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick Dental Question, opinion kindly appreciated

d2007ave

Young Bun
Dear all, a little question, your opinion would be gratefully appreciated.

Every year we take Flopsy our Rabbit to the vet for an annual checkup and vaccination. He always has his teeth checked and no problems reported till yesterday. On his annual visit, the vet mentioned he had a small spur on his back teeth and it would need removing.

I checked my pet insurance and petplan stated dental covered if the pet had a dental examination in the past 12 months. In your opinion would his annual checkup, where his teeth were checked, count as a dental examination?

In my simple opinion he did have a dental examination, albeit he was there for a complete check and vaccination.

Please do let me know, Incidentally the cost of the dental work was costed at £370, this shocked me as when I googled cost of removing a spur, an American site (im in the uk) suggested £10 to £200

With thanks

David

I'm pretty sure the 12 month check up counts as a dental exam. £370 is expensive !! gosh i think my bunnies spur removal & 2 nights at the vets was £140.

Yes, definitely the check up at vaccination time will count as dental examination. £370 is extremely steep. I think I paid less than £100 for basic dental (wasn't spurs but same time/skill element).... and that's not a 'get what you pay for' situation as the it was done by one of the top rabbit vets in the country. I'd see £200 as steep, I can't understand why £370 for spur, especially as presumably it's non-complex ie rabbit is otherwise well, eating etc. I'd be getting a second opinion, I think!

Dear all, a little question, your opinion would be gratefully appreciated.

Every year we take Flopsy our Rabbit to the vet for an annual checkup and vaccination. He always has his teeth checked and no problems reported till yesterday. On his annual visit, the vet mentioned he had a small spur on his back teeth and it would need removing.

I checked my pet insurance and petplan stated dental covered if the pet had a dental examination in the past 12 months. In your opinion would his annual checkup, where his teeth were checked, count as a dental examination?

In my simple opinion he did have a dental examination, albeit he was there for a complete check and vaccination.

Please do let me know, Incidentally the cost of the dental work was costed at £370, this shocked me as when I googled cost of removing a spur, an American site (im in the uk) suggested £10 to £200

With thanks

David

Definitely, you've been very conscientious about his health and teeth, so I see no reason for that *not* to count as his dental exam.

The price is very very expensive though. I wouldn't expect to pay more than half that amount. Does that include an X-ray?

Thank you kindly for all your replies Joey & Boo, Bunny Buddy & Mighty Max

It is encouraging to know that likely this will be covered by insurance, not that we grudge paying for their health (we have another Bunny too and other pets) just that we do live on a budget.

I don't have the full quote beside me, but i know it involved putting the bunny unconscious for the teeth file (or whatever they do)

As far as i am aware Flopsies Tooth isn't too bad, i have no reason to expect such a huge bill, i will likely take your advice and look around for another quote and yes the Bunny is healthy and Happy and eating, (He's 7 yrs old too)

Thank you:wave:

Yes, definitely the check up at vaccination time will count as dental examination. £370 is extremely steep. I think I paid less than £100 for basic dental (wasn't spurs but same time/skill element).... and that's not a 'get what you pay for' situation as the it was done by one of the top rabbit vets in the country. I'd see £200 as steep, I can't understand why £370 for spur, especially as presumably it's non-complex ie rabbit is otherwise well, eating etc. I'd be getting a second opinion, I think!

I agree with BB. I dont have any 'Dental Rabbits' now but when I did the most I ever paid was about £120 and that included the GA, the actual procedure and skull Xrays. So how £370 can be justified I really do not know.

Perhaps you could ask for a breakdown of what the quote covers ? Part shares in the Veterinary Practice by the sounds of things!

I think that as long as the Vet actually recorded full details of the oral examinations done at vaccination time in your Rabbit's clinical records the Insurance Company should accept it. But, knowing how some Insurance Companies can do their best to get out of meeting a claim I would check it out with them first so you can be prepared should they decline to cover all of the cost of the claim.

Thank you kindly for all your replies Joey & Boo, Bunny Buddy & Mighty Max

It is encouraging to know that likely this will be covered by insurance, not that we grudge paying for their health (we have another Bunny too and other pets) just that we do live on a budget.

I don't have the full quote beside me, but i know it involved putting the bunny unconscious for the teeth file (or whatever they do)

As far as i am aware Flopsies Tooth isn't too bad, i have no reason to expect such a huge bill, i will likely take your advice and look around for another quote and yes the Bunny is healthy and Happy and eating, (He's 7 yrs old too)

Thank you:wave:

You're welcome :wave:

You don't have to stick with one vet. As you've said, you can shop around for another quote. I have had to do this when my normal vet was unable offer life saving treatment for my rabbits and nobody minds :D

Annoyed at my insurer

Well ive been looking into this and it seems that my insurerer, (name ommitted in case that is not allowed) will not cover the teeth trimming. A little annoyed given that for the last 5 years they have had over £1000 in insurance payments for my two buns, i think in future i will cancel the insurance, if i had just saved the money, there would have been a nice emergency fund for them! Oh well, i will continue my research to get a better quote for the teeth trimming costs

Well ive been looking into this and it seems that my insurerer, (name ommitted in case that is not allowed) will not cover the teeth trimming. A little annoyed given that for the last 5 years they have had over £1000 in insurance payments for my two buns, i think in future i will cancel the insurance, if i had just saved the money, there would have been a nice emergency fund for them! Oh well, i will continue my research to get a better quote for the teeth trimming costs

I had a horrible feeling that could be the case :cry: I hope you are able to locate a Vet who can give a more reasonable quote. If you post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for Rabbit Savvy Vet recommendations in your area then maybe some of us can make some suggestions of competent Vets who wont rip you off.

Please think carefully before cancelling insurance - I'm sure you will. Many insurers don't cover teeth unfortunately.

Definitely shop around for a more reasonable quote from a vet for dentals though :)

My rabbits have conscious dentals, without the use of anaesthetics. They have no recovery time and the cost is the normal price of a consultation - £30/ £35. Of course an X-ray can't be taken during that time, as it would involve a GA.

Good luck xx

I used to be with PetPlan, who I think you are with, and I understood that if the rabbits (including teeth) had been checked annually, then a dental would be covered. I wonder if they do different policies. I think it's worth pursuing.

Back