• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nesting. Normal for a male bunny? UD more odd behaviour

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
Dave has started gathering straw. He has also been shredding newspaper in his litter tray by digging at it and has been digging at his vetbed as if to gather material for a nest. Is this normal behaviour for a male?

Last edited:
It's not common, but I have heard of it happening. I think spring does all sorts of funny things to our rabbits moods, male and female.

Louie had a few "gathering mouthfuls of hay" moments, he used to dump the piles of hay behind the settee!

Dave hasn't used his litter tray in a couple of days. He's usually such a neat freak! He keeps going just outside of the tray, earlier I found that he had done a wee in his water bowl and was drinking from it.

Dave hasn't used his litter tray in a couple of days. He's usually such a neat freak! He keeps going just outside of the tray, earlier I found that he had done a wee in his water bowl and was drinking from it.

Are his mobility/activity levels normal ? I assume eating and pooing is normal ?

Mine have taken to weeing over the sides of their little litter tray in the little hutch, and in the adjacent corner. I thought the odd red colour in their water was where they'd dropped half a ton of hay into it but it could've been wee. Never saw them do it so can't be sure. Things have changed around here recently though: new area to play in, rearranged the playhouse and hutch, so I've put it down to that. Plus spring, moulting etc.

Hope it's just a weird phase!

Back