• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving out...

jobee

New Kit
Hi everyone - I'm looking for some advice.

Due to an unforeseen change in my salary I'm having to move from my current house into a shared property where I can't have pets. My bunny Rufus has lived inside all his life (around 4years). He has the run of the house all day and night. He's always been on his own, and has seemed fairly content with the set up. When I move, I'm not going to be able to keep him indoors - so my choices are to keep him in a hutch outdoors, or to see if I can find him a new family who are willing to keep him indoors, free range.

I'd like to keep him, if I can - which would mean outdoors. I'd get him as big a hutch as I could in the space we'd have, but I worry that he will get lonely, cold, bored and lethargic - because even a large hutch would be much smaller than he's used to and I worry that he won't tolerate it. So... I'm thinking the best thing for him is to probably find him a new home, which is pretty heartbreaking.

However, before I make my decision...I just wondered if anyone has any experiences of moving a free range indoor bunny into a smaller space outdoors? How did they manage? Would you advocate getting them a companion? (he's so far had a rough experience getting to know other bunnies - he's a real softie and got chased until he screamed!). Has anyone moved a 'single' bunny outside?

I don't want to lose him, but at the end of the day I want what is the best option for him - I can't bring myself to put him outside just for my benefit if he's going to suffer as a result. A move is going to be difficult for him regardless, so I'd like to make it that it is as good as can be for him.

I'd really love to hear anyone's experiences!

Last edited:
Awww how heartbreaking this decision must be for you ive havnt got much advise for you regarding going from inside to outside apart from he would need a very large run attached to a minimum of 6 foot hutch which like you said would probablly seem small to him. i would really advise to get him a companion, how about a lovely wife, he might not miss you as much then and he would have someone to groom him. im sure someone with experience in outside buns will be around soon with some great advice .. hang in there xx And welcome to the forum xx

Back