• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby - the destroyer of carpet...HELP!

jay

Mama Doe
Ruby is a house bun who lives mainly in my office. She loves to chew and destroy and has recently turned her attention to the carpet. Now eventually I will replace the carpet with laminate and a big rug but in the meantime I need to stop her chewing the carpet before she ends up poorly. She leaves most of the carpet she chews but I'm worried she is swallowing more than is healthy. What can I do?

The solutions I have so far are;
Towels over the carpet (she lifts these up and chucks them out the way!)
Wood to chew (not interested, probably because she's allowed to do that)
Paper balls to throw around and chew (these she does like as I pretend she is not allowed them)
One large cardboard tunnel and two plastic bendy tunnel to chew/run through.

Also - time out. I work in my office all day and when I can take no more I pop her in her cage for a bit. This is not ideal. She sits in the corner and looks at me with big sad eyes. :love: This is also useless at night as she has hours and hours of time in which to ingest carpet. :roll: (Her cage is not big enough to lock her in overnight).

Help!

I had the same problem with my poppy! She went mainly for the corners of the room so I just put things in the corners so she couldn't get to them, she would do it at night so I wouldn't catch her! She got bored eventually and no longer digs on the carpet.

I can say is if she did eat any carpet it didn't make her sick, white vinegar mixed with water sprayed onto things I don't then to chew works well. Also make sure she is eating lots of hay and fresh food to keep her regular if she does eat any carpet.

The other option is to get her a friend, rabbit are much happier in pair and some bunny to love will give Ruby a distraction :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - it's good to hear Poppy just stopped and that it didn't cause her any harm. I'm going to try putting small boxes of hay in the corners! We have plans for a new bunny...Ruby has a date in a few weeks. Just have to wait for him to go for a little vet visit first! :shock:

sometimes there is very little you can do to stop a bunny on a mission. My 1st house bunny got through a lot of carpet & a sofa. She did calm her antics when she was spayed & even more so when I got her a husbunny (they then went to task on the skirting boards as a double act).

So in essence if she isn't already spayed that could help a lot. Apple / appropriate fruit branches are good at diverting activity away from soft furnishings too. Ultimately some bunnies are just really chewy / destructive. Lino & a rug sounds a great solution. Good luck

Thanks - yes, she is the most destructive bunny I have ever had. She is spayed. It's not so much that she chews the carpet/door/skirting etc... it's that she does it ALL THE TIME! This morning I bought all the toys in the pet shop (well maybe not all the toys!) but I did get A LOT! She now has many, many willow balls, sticks, chews and even a new bed with really high sides so she can dig in the back of it...which she has! She is getting a husbun soon...I hope he calms her down!

Here she is resting...and still chewing a cardboard roll.
Roux.jpg

Back