• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange looking poops

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all

I wonder if anyone could advise .............. I found these strange shaped poops in the run this morning ........ do you think its anything to be worried about??

24442927249_665cc60614_z.jpg

24692740192_b686dc6415_z.jpg

I don't know who they belong to but I've seen both bunnies do normal poops this morning and both are eating, drinking and running round as normal.

Could it be a case of too much veg for their supper last night??

Thanks in advance

Jo x

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could advise .............. I found these strange shaped poops in the run this morning ........ do you think its anything to be worried about??

24442927249_665cc60614_z.jpg

24692740192_b686dc6415_z.jpg

I don't know who they belong to but I've seen both bunnies do normal poops this morning and both are eating, drinking and running round as normal.

Could it be a case of too much veg for their supper last night??

Thanks in advance

Jo x

I would keep an eye over the next couple of days and up the hay intake. It could have been the veg that made a difference, if they ate more of that instead of hay/grass etc

OMG really???!!! Are rat droppings hard or squishy?

I'll send OH out on the lookout later!!

:shock: ahhhh, I hope its not rat poo. If you get OH to break one open you'll probably get a better idea since rabbit poo is all fur & hay & I assume ratty diets are different

I have a rat hanging around at the moment and it looks like rat poo. Rats tend to drop the odd poo as they scurry along. I haven't squished the rat poo so not sure if it is hard or soft.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness, I'll get OH to have a proper look round tonight ............... not sure how they could get in as the whole of the front of the run is perspexed at the moment and it's all built on paving ........there are air holes near the top of the run ..... but surely they couldn't get in there!?!?

Oh my .........unless one has sneaked in whilst the bunnies have been out in the garden .... and I've shut it in there with them at bedtime!?!?! :shock:

This morning was the first time I've seen these droppings so I will defo send OH in to investigate ....... and keep a close eye on the bunnies!!

24446482119_f0f5202f7c_z.jpg

My rabbits have had the odd longer poo like yours so don't panic just yet!

It could be that it's full of fur. The longer poos in your pics appear to be the same colour as the other rounder ones, so I doubt it rat poo as rat poo tends to be much darker in my experience, almost black.

My rabbits have had the odd longer poo like yours so don't panic just yet!

It could be that it's full of fur. The longer poos in your pics appear to be the same colour as the other rounder ones, so I doubt it rat poo as rat poo tends to be much darker in my experience, almost black.
I agree on both accounts: mine tend to have oval poos when they eat loads of hay, and then when in the eating-loads-of-hay period they eat more forage than usual, we get longer poos. Fur too though.

Thanks guys I'm trying not to panic.

Just another quick query ...... if it were rats ..... would they attack the bunnies??

I wish I knew why rabbits sometimes do poohs like this, there is still a lot to be learned about rabbits. I do believe overfeeding causes a lot of problems. The rats wouldn't attack the rabbits, and I doubt a rat would be hiding in there as it's a trap and no way out. I have heard of rats attacking chickens but rabbits could run away.

Oh my goodness, I'll get OH to have a proper look round tonight ............... not sure how they could get in as the whole of the front of the run is perspexed at the moment and it's all built on paving ........there are air holes near the top of the run ..... but surely they couldn't get in there!?!?

Oh my .........unless one has sneaked in whilst the bunnies have been out in the garden .... and I've shut it in there with them at bedtime!?!?! :shock:

This morning was the first time I've seen these droppings so I will defo send OH in to investigate ....... and keep a close eye on the bunnies!!

24446482119_f0f5202f7c_z.jpg

Sorry, off the thread, but you've reminded me Bitzy, that it's you who has the most wonderful set up :love:

I think a rat would feel trapped in there, and you would be hearing it/them trying to get out again if that were the case.

That looks like your rabbit's poop to me. It's the same coloring and texture as the normal round ones.

My rabbits will also have the odd poop on occasion. My theory is there is some sort of irritation to their gut due to something that has been ingested. It could be from a new food, a change in amounts of a food, ingesting a bad piece of food such as a bad piece of hay or a weed, or maybe ingesting a foreign object. This is just me guessing though. I usually don't worry as long as it doesn't continue and is just a one off occurrence. But I do keep a close eye out for the next day or two to make sure I'm not seeing more.

I wish I knew why rabbits sometimes do poohs like this, there is still a lot to be learned about rabbits. I do believe overfeeding causes a lot of problems. The rats wouldn't attack the rabbits, and I doubt a rat would be hiding in there as it's a trap and no way out. I have heard of rats attacking chickens but rabbits could run away.

Sorry - just to point out rats will attack anything if they feel cornered/threatened. I've seen chickens attacking rats, and if the chicken doesn't feel it's "winning" it'll back off, find a perch etc.

The poo doesn't look very rat like - as previously said they tend to be much darker, almost black.

I love your set up, it looks amazing.

Rats eat anything, I don't think they're big fans of grass or hay though. Because of the variety, their poos are a bit soft and quite dark, and should also be smaller than rabbits poos. Those ones look bigger than the rabbit poos next to them, so I think they are too big for a rat! Or to put it another way, it'd be big enough for you to see it in there! Do you have any ropes, cables or platforms next to the vent holes? Because rats would need something like that to clamber down. Keep an eye out, but don't panic.

Love the rabbit setup! Lucky rabbits!

Awww thanks for all your nice comments about their set up.....I'll let OH know as he built it for them.

Unfortunately When I came in from work I found some more in their downstairs bedroom (didn't check in there this morning) .... probably around 10 ..... all looking like the above.

We've brought the bunnies indoors tonight and set some traps in there just to be on the safe side!!! :shock:

I wonder what else it could be then??

The bunnies were indoors last night and more poop - the same as the above - has appeared in the run this morning (although nothing in the traps).

One of our neighbours at the back is having an extension built and the builders started on Monday, we're wondering if they've disturbed a nest and they're looking for a new home!?

We're keeping the bunnies in for the weekend and OH is going to get everything out of the run/hutch to see if we can see where whatever it is, is getting in. Then we'll get rid of everything and start again with new stuff ..... which is a shame as I only bought them new toys last week .... but I'd much rather do that than risk them getting ill!

Back