• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run advice please.

Newbunnies

Young Bun
Hi there,
My buns are currently living in a Duchy Farm Kennel which is perfect for them. However I'd also like to add an extra run for some interest for them and also as more of an 'outside' area. Although the run on the kennel is lovely it is quite covered (three sides and a roof, plus kickboards on the other side) so I think a more traditional run could be a good addition.

My idea was to run a runaround tube from their existing kennel to a run which would sit on concrete as I have a huge paved area in my garden. I was planning to use a 12 foot tunnel, just for extra exercise. My question really is about the run and its security. At the moment I already own this run http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...tches-and-runs/outdoor-rabbit/rose-rabbit-run (or a similar version) which was actually bought to house my cat after she was hit by a car and wasn't allowed to run around freely. She lived in it indoors so she could be near us but not hurt herself. As it was only needed for a month it's been in my garage ever since. Would this be secure enough to be fox proof? It has one removable panel on the side so you can put it against a hutch, but my plan was to replace that with a runaround connector plate screwed in, and connect a runaround tunnel. (This is the connector plate I mean http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/connections/products/connection-plate)

I'd also replace the hook and eye connector with a strong bolt. If need be I could buy a different run, but I'd prefer not to if I don't need to at this time of year. Even if I could use this one now and add a better one later that would be preferable...

I can't pin the run down because it's on concrete, so how do people secure their runs against predators? It's pretty heavy, but I have seen foxes in my garden before so I need to be extra vigilant. Has anyone used one of these runs and if so how safe did you feel it was?
Thank you for any help and advice!

Hi, I haven't used a run like that, but I have in the past had a hutch with similar bars, and the metal was flimsy and widely spaced, your run looks to be made in a similar way. I would recommend that if the wooden framework is sturdy you could make it more predator proof by meshing the inside or outside of the run with weld mesh, 19g or 16g is best, with 1cmx1cm holes. This will prevent predators such as cats, or foxes pawing through the existing bars. You would be best to fasten the run down into the concrete by bolting through it into the concrete, otherwise it could be pushed or blown over.
Bolts top and bottom to replace the hook and eye would be best.

Runaround is great, I had 2 tunnels when I had outdoor rabbits in the past.

Strangely it's the bars that are strong- way stronger than the ones on my Duchy Farms kennel ( which were upgraded for the rabbits!). It's more the wooden frame I was concerned about really, although I suppose that's the easiest problem to solve by adding sturdy brackets to it. I do have some runaround doors and tunnels. I use them within the kennel to link their hutch (which is just for extra shelter) to the shed part... they love it as the tunnels give them a warren like feel. I also use cat flaps from the shed to run, so there's a choice. I am going to head to B&Q once the rain stops (if it stops) and see if I can find something to strengthen it with. Thanks

Back