• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & high winds

Casco

Mama Doe
When I went downstairs this morning I was surprised to see poop all over the run, they are usually very good at using the litter tray with just a few stray poos in the run. We had high winds last night, is it likely to have been the noise from the wind that has spooked them a bit? They are indoors so not actually out in the wind, they were all safe and warm in the living room. I cleaned out their litter tray last night so I don't think it was some sort of dirty protest!

it could be. bisc has always been nervous of very windy weather aswell, especially when he and matt used to live outside.

Billy has been reluctant to leave his cage for the last 2 nights, and I wondered if it might be wind related. But I also moved his cardboard box castle to a new location to make way for a Christmas tree, and this could also have left him in a huff...

Wind would make sense, as Billy was an outdoor bunny before, and he would probably have stayed in his hutch in bad weather like this.

They are around 8 months old and neutered so I don't think it will be puberty? Nothing else has changed for them recently, if it is the noise of the wind they'll probably end up doing it again tonight! I hate high winds, so glad they aren't outside as I would be paranoid about them.

Yep, nights like this make me hope Billy is glad he's an indoor bunny these days... I suppose if they make a mess outside the litter tray tonight, at least you'll know they don't like the strong winds so you can start looking at ways to help calm them for future.

Today's the first calm day since Wednesday and billy hopped out of his cage within 5 minutes, so I think wind was the problem.

Last night the wind had died down by around midnight thankfully, there was a bit of poo in their run this morning but much less than there was yesterday so I have to assume the wind was the problem here too. I dare say we'll have more high winds to come over the winter to test out my theory!

Back