• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Routine Worming

Calathea

Young Bun
When Thor was diagnosed with EC, Alfie was also put on a 28 day course of worming medication. We're at day 20 at the moment, it's getting harder and harder to medicate him because he's a lot smarter than I thought lol! Not long to go now though thankfully.

However, when Alfie was vaccinated by the vet who treated Thor, we spoke to her about getting Alfie a wifebun and she said that it would be best to put the new girl on a 28 day course of medication as well to clear her of any infection and to stop her from potentially re-infecting Alfie. This seems sensible and we'd planned on taking the new girl to the vet as soon as we got her for a quick check over anyway so can get another bottle of the medication then (although vet said if we still have some left in the bottle we have to use that).

Anyway, I'm rambling... My question is, do you think routine worming would be a good idea? Are there any side effects to using the worming treatment? How often do you worm your buns? How often would 'routine' be? Would a routine 9 day course be OK?

Thanks for any info and advice. I'll be chatting to the vet about it too but wanted to get your guys opinions as well :)

PS - my vet is very rabbit savvy, highly recommended in the local area and couldn't have been better with Thor when he was poorly. Lucky to have such a good vet.

I don't routinely worm my rabbits. - it is not necessary.

I have never wormed a new rabbit either (didn't know anything about it at the time) but I know some people do worm new rabbits.

I don't routinely worm my rabbits. - it is not necessary.

I have never wormed a new rabbit either (didn't know anything about it at the time) but I know some people do worm new rabbits.

My concern is losing another bun to EC which I could prevent with worming. I didn't even consider worming my buns when I got them, now wish I had as Thor would still be with us.

But unless there's a way that they can become reinfected there's no need to routinely worm I'm guessing?

My concern is losing another bun to EC which I could prevent with worming. I didn't even consider worming my buns when I got them, now wish I had as Thor would still be with us.

But unless there's a way that they can become reinfected there's no need to routinely worm I'm guessing?

I really am no expert on this - there are quite a few threads on worming and I wonder whether any of those posts would help.?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will see your thread.

Don't forget to disinfect everything on days 21 and 28 - otherwise you risk reinfecting the rabbit you are treating. I would make sure everything was properly disinfected before bonding with your new rabbit as well, even though it should be on neutral territory. As for treating the new rabbit, I would follow your vet's advice. If you are treating for EC, it is normally a 28 day course of treatment - 9 days would not be enough.

Some vets advise a routine worming of nine days, but this is purely for pin worms and such like, as you need at least 28 days of Panacur for E.C. coverage.

I can understand you not wanting to go through what you went through before, but most rabbits harbour E.C. and are asymptomatic for the whole of their lives.

Also, remember that no drug is without it's side effects and risks ....

Back