• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bot flies

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi

I haven't posted for a while but really appreciate the wisdom of you guys!
Thankfully I've had a good spell with Freddie and Lola.

they were at a very rabbit savvy friend this weekend, she found a scab on Freddie which was black. Presumed it was a bite from Lola as she still humps him (though it's all friendly and not concerning).
I picked the scab off. And it left a very rounded punch mark like lesion. I sent a pic to my friend who said it didn't look like a rabbit bite but thought I should get it checked because she thought it may a bot fly.

So I've booked a vet appointment for tomorrow evening.
He is well in himself: eating, snuggling etc!
I'm a doctor and have had a good look at the wound and I'm happy it's clean and not infected.

Anyone got experience of bot flies? I prefer to go to the vets armed with information especially if I'm not seeing my favourite rabbit savvy vet!

So if anyone has any expertise I would really really appreciate it!

Kate x

The only experience I have is reading other people's experiences (mostly with Yorkshire Terriers) and the one thing I might add is it's dangerous to try to remove the larvae as it can exude a toxin that makes the host very ill or can be fatal. Not certain if that is the same for UK bot flies.

I hope it is easily taken care of and your bunny is quickly healed. ((((((healing vibes))))))) xxxx

Hi

I haven't posted for a while but really appreciate the wisdom of you guys!
Thankfully I've had a good spell with Freddie and Lola.

they were at a very rabbit savvy friend this weekend, she found a scab on Freddie which was black. Presumed it was a bite from Lola as she still humps him (though it's all friendly and not concerning).
I picked the scab off. And it left a very rounded punch mark like lesion. I sent a pic to my friend who said it didn't look like a rabbit bite but thought I should get it checked because she thought it may a bot fly.

So I've booked a vet appointment for tomorrow evening.
He is well in himself: eating, snuggling etc!
I'm a doctor and have had a good look at the wound and I'm happy it's clean and not infected.

Anyone got experience of bot flies? I prefer to go to the vets armed with information especially if I'm not seeing my favourite rabbit savvy vet!

So if anyone has any expertise I would really really appreciate it!

Kate x

A scab can also be caused if the rabbit has had a vaccination or injection (e.g.. Baytril) recently ..

I hope the vet helps you! Keep us updated

Do you reckon it's worth popping him to the vets anyway??

It's on his left side but certainly centrally and she found his skin very tough to give the vaccination.

It's on his left side but certainly centrally and she found his skin very tough to give the vaccination.

I personally wouldn't bother, but if you want reassurance then please go. There's nothing they can do as it will heal itself. If it doesn't show signs of healing up within a few days, or looks worse, then I would go in.

If it looks to be infection free and healing well then I'd just give the Vet a call and let him/her know what has occurred. The Vet may just want to make a note of the reaction on your Rabbit's records. Or the Vet may say that he/she does want to see your Rabbit first xx

Back