• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know whether to get 1 or 2 Netherland Dwarfs

chloe60

Young Bun
After losing my angel, Oscar (who was also a netherland dwarf) i have struggled greatly with his loss and now feel like im ready to give another rabbit the same love, not to replace. However, i dont know whether to get two netherland dwarfs (from the same litter) or just one. I dont want them getting too attached to eachother to the point where they wont let me handle them anymore but i also dont want one to become lonely when im at college. Just after some advice please :)

d994db82174cd8468e75be9b95b949e8.jpg
< My baby, Oscar 😇

Oscar looks very sweet. I've got a little Netherland dwarf too - they're adorable aren't they.
It's probably best to get two new bunnies if you're going to be out of the house at college for long periods of time. I don't know if they'd want to spend less time with you - it probably depends more on their personalities as to how much human contact each one would like

Oscar looks very sweet. I've got a little Netherland dwarf too - they're adorable aren't they.
It's probably best to get two new bunnies if you're going to be out of the house at college for long periods of time. I don't know if they'd want to spend less time with you - it probably depends more on their personalities as to how much human contact each one would like
Thankyou for the advice!! Since theyre from the same litter will they fight? I obviously will be getting them neutered as soon as they mature but before this?

I've never had two from the same litter before but from what I've read they should be fine until their hormones kick in, so hopefully if they are neutered as soon as they reach that point then all should go well. Fingers crossed! :)

I've never had two from the same litter before but from what I've read they should be fine until their hormones kick in, so hopefully if they are neutered as soon as they reach that point then all should go well. Fingers crossed! :)
Thankyou so much for your help :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is it possible for you to contact rescues to see if they have any bonded nethies ? That saves all the stress of separating as they reach sexual maturity then trying to rebond later. Obviously with a rescue that neuters as all the best ones do

Is it possible for you to contact rescues to see if they have any bonded nethies ? That saves all the stress of separating as they reach sexual maturity then trying to rebond later. Obviously with a rescue that neuters as all the best ones do
Yeah ive already tried, im just hoping they will be able to rebond after. Would i have to re introduce them a bit at a time or could i just put them straight back in together??

I've adopted bonded siblings but have never bonded them myself. I prefer to keep them together for bonding but some people prefer the dating system. If you were to put them together & all the behaviour was neutral or positive it would be a shame not to continue keeping them together to get it all done & dusted, so to speak. I think different bonding techniques suit different owners / bunnies. Obviously they'd need to have enough time to recover from neuter / spay prior to any introductions

Okay thankyou, so like a couple of days after the spay/neutering, then try them together. Hopefully theyll be okay since theyre siblings. I jsut hope they dont fight at all.

Okay thankyou, so like a couple of days after the spay/neutering, then try them together. Hopefully theyll be okay since theyre siblings. I jsut hope they dont fight at all.

Probably more like a few weeks plus, boys remain fertile for a good while after castration, I think their hormones can take a while to subside post operatively too for does & bucks

Probably more like a few weeks plus, boys remain fertile for a good while after castration, I think their hormones can take a while to subside post operatively too for does & bucks
Okay cool.. what about if i got two girls would that make a difference to how long i would need to separate them for?

You could introduce them quicker, I'd take your vets advice at their post op check up
Thankyou so much for your help. Im new to this whole having two thing ive only ever had two separates at different times.. thankyou! :)

You're welcome. Maybe give this thread of yours a bump tomorrow morning, I'm no expert & its always nice when others opinions are added! I think these rabbity folk tend to go to bed early :lol:

You're welcome. Maybe give this thread of yours a bump tomorrow morning, I'm no expert & its always nice when others opinions are added! I think these rabbity folk tend to go to bed early :lol:

Oy! No we don't :lol:

OK - I have just read about your loss of the stunning Oscar. I love Red eyed White rabbits. My absolutely favourite :love:

I would get two bunnies from a rescue, ideally - do they have to both be Nethies? Could they just be small cross breeds?

I wouldn't go for two boys or two girls, but a boy and girl. If you get them separately and they aren't neutered - get them done at the same time by all means, and then put them together after the female has healed (about two weeks all being well).

However, a reputable rescue should have spayed/neutered and vaccinated all their rabbits, leaving you with only the issue of bonding. And they might even do that bit for you as well!

Did you have any more questions? Ask away ... We are open all hours :lol:

Oy! No we don't [emoji38]

OK - I have just read about your loss of the stunning Oscar. I love Red eyed White rabbits. My absolutely favourite :love:

I would get two bunnies from a rescue, ideally - do they have to both be Nethies? Could they just be small cross breeds?

I wouldn't go for two boys or two girls, but a boy and girl. If you get them separately and they aren't neutered - get them done at the same time by all means, and then put them together after the female has healed (about two weeks all being well).

However, a reputable rescue should have spayed/neutered and vaccinated all their rabbits, leaving you with only the issue of bonding. And they might even do that bit for you as well!

Did you have any more questions? Ask away ... We are open all hours [emoji38]
Thankyou, i really wanted two from the same litter from being babies so they could bond with me as well as eachother straight away. And nethies are ny favourites. The problem i have with rescuing is that there are no rabbit rescues around my areas and the only shelters that do have rabbits only have single big rabbits which isnt ideal for me. I was either going to get two nethies or two mini rexs but i couldnt find any around my area from both breeders and rescues :(

Do you think it could work? How would you go about this situation? I just dont want them to fight.. its difficult because i only had oscar and he was the sweetest, happiest little boy. Although i do think he got lonely sometimes when i was at college for a long period. Which is why i wanted to try two but im just anxious about bonding after spaying/neutering.

How about looking on Rabbit Rehome and seeing if there are any bunnies you are interested in? I'm assuming you are in the UK so bun runs could always be arranged.

Back