• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating hay after dental U/D still struggling

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Toffee went and had his first dental on Thursday, he's just turned 2 years old. I'd noticed him leaving the stalky hay, and just going for the softer grassy stuff, so took him to vets who confirmed tooth spurs. Given that he has on going wet poo issues, it's imperative that he eats his hay, which he usually does.
Anyway, dental went ok, but they discovered that my poor boy had a nasty ulcer at the back of his tongue, from the spurs. I felt awful, as he'd shown no sign of pain, and was his normal happy self. He came home, after having an antibiotic and painkilling jab, and managed some softened pellets, grated carrot, and a tiny bit of readigrass. Problem is, he's still not eating his hay, he's really trying, and digs in it frantically ! I've been and got more metacam this morning, to administer at home, but I'm worried he's not getting enough fibre, and will end up with a messy bum again. I know his mouth is still sore, poor thing, but how long after a dental does it take to get back to normal ? Also, can I dampen the hay, will it still be as good for him ?

Last edited:
Sorry Toffee's struggling to eat his hay :( When Scrappy had her dental it was around two days before she started eating hay again. From your post I'm guessing Toffee wants to eat his hay but is struggling with it? Only thing I can think of is maybe his jaw is still a bit sore, my understanding is that their mouths are kept wide open during dental. Hopefully the metacam will help him. Maybe chopping his hay into smaller bits might make it a bit easier for him?

Hope he's better soon x

Sorry Toffee's struggling to eat his hay :( When Scrappy had her dental it was around two days before she started eating hay again. From your post I'm guessing Toffee wants to eat his hay but is struggling with it? Only thing I can think of is maybe his jaw is still a bit sore, my understanding is that their mouths are kept wide open during dental. Hopefully the metacam will help him. Maybe chopping his hay into smaller bits might make it a bit easier for him?

Hope he's better soon x

Hi thanks for reply, its reassuring to to get advice from others who've been there with their buns. Toffee is really trying with his hay bless him. I've been sitting pulling all the softy bits out for him, and he's managed those ok. Can't be feeling too bad in himself though, he's just been binkying around :lol:

Well poor Toffee is still not eating much hay. I went and got more metacam on Saturday morning for him, and spoke to the nurse who was there when he had his dental. She said she wasn't surprised that he wasn't eating it, as the ulcer on his tongue looked really sore. I'm grating carrot in with his pellets, with a bit of spinach and parsley. He goes mad for readigrass, and has no problem with that. He has his fenugreek crunchie at night, but I am softening it in a drop of water. I daren't give him much green stuff, as his tummy will set off again (wet poos). He's fine in himself, but it's almost like he's gone off hay, although I suppose he knows it's going to hurt. I'm just worried he's not getting enough fibre. All the hay I have is really stalky stuff, which he normally eats no problem. Any suggestions for something softer, but not too green ?

Oh poor Toffee :(

As far as I can remember the last bag of meadow hay I got from Hay for Pets was quite soft. That was back in June though. I haven't bought it since as Scrappy wasn't very impressed with it so I'm not sure if it still is as soft.

Would it be worth trying Orchard grass? I know it's very green but Scrappy has been fine with it and she has a sensitive tummy too. For about a month or so it's been by far her favourite hay. Strands are also fairly short so might be easier for him to manage.

Also I was wondering if you should ask your vet about giving him some fibreplex until his hay eating is back to normal. For the first few days after her spay, Scrappy only wanted to eat bits of leafy greens and apple. She wasn't getting nearly enough fibre and her bottom inevitably exploded. Fibreplex sorted that out very quickly.

Good luck, really hope he's munching on his hay again soon :wave:

Sorry to hear Toffee is not doing so well :(

If he is still not keen on his hay could you maybe try spraying it with something sweet like pineapple/apple juice? Or giving him a little bit of baby food and then dipping strands of hay into it and seeing if he'll eat it?

Whenever mine have stopped eating their hay when poorly they've generally started eating on their own again once they're feeling better, so sorry I can't be more help :(

Thanks for replies guys, maybe I'm just panicking a bit, but wasn't sure what was normal after a dental.

S.L.H. - orchard hay sounds like an idea, might give that a go. I'm giving him a little fibre plex, I wouldn't be without it with Toffee. He loves the taste, and would probably have a whole tube if I let him ! :lol:

L.L. -the apple juice is a good idea, I might try sprinkling a little on some chopped hay, he does like apple so might work.

J.B. -he loves the readigrass, but I have to limit him, as its sets his tummy off.

Will give your ideas a go and see how we do- thanks again :wave:

Hi there, well I had a go at the apple juice on some softer hay, and he had a few strands. Went back out at 10 to shut them in, and it's all gone ! I've put a drop on a crunchie ( fenugreek not chocolate :lol:) and he was nibbling away so hopefully he's on the mend ! They are such a worry at times these buns, good job we luv em :lol: thanks for asking !

Back