• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daktarin -Rosie Diarrhoea and Off Food

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So poor Rosies health problems continue :( i gave her about 0.2 ml of Daktarin yesterday at 9pm and again at 12 am and then this morning at 8.30am. She was starting to eat her food after the first dose last night. And I was able to take off her wee vest last night too as she had drastically reduced the hair pulling. But she has been flat all day and will only eat the odd wee thing if i hand it to her. She also had quite a few very soft runny poops and i had to get lying wash her wee bum as poop was covering her wee poop exit. She was so good as Rosie always is. I spoke to the vet and we agreed agreed to reduce the dose to morning and evening 0.1ml so that less goes to her stomach and hopefully stays in her mouth. She started to hair pull again this evening so I gave her the 0.1ml dose and had to put her wee vest back on. Am I being cruel subjecting her to all of this ?? She is taking her syringe feed not too bad. It feels like the daktarin helped her mouth but the trade off it has upset her belly :( i have been giving her avipro in her syringe feed. I had been putting a small amount of apple and banana puree into the critical care to make it more tasty but the soft poos only began after the daktarin. I didn't expect these side effects. This is so cruel for her and she is trying so hard and being such a good girl. :( :(

I am so sorry to hear that Rosie is having such a hard time. Poor poor bunny. I don't have any advice. It sounds like you are giving her every chance to recover. I just wanted to send you and Rosie vibes and to bump this up for you.

Thank u bunny toes. We may have a very difficult decision to make in the next day or so. She just doesn't seem to be getting better and I had to give her vetergesic tonight as she is in discomfort and metacam wasn't helping. I can't bear to think about it :( she is a fighter tho so i prayI am wrong.

I can totally appreciate how hard this must be for you. It is extra difficult when they are frighters,
Julie actually surprised us many times. We would think that no way would she pull through and medicate to get her out of pain until her normal vet was open to pts but she would pop out of it right before. She was such a fighter but it made it that much harder when the actual time came.
Sending more vibes your way. .

I see Julie is a Netherland. So is Rosie. It's just in their nature isn't it to be fighters I think anyway. Yes Rosie was near a goner on a couple of occasions also. She is going to the vet first thing in the morning. Thank u for ur kind words and hope Rosie can turn a corner.

Do you have any pictures of Rosie on here? Does she have the hymalan coloring like Julie? Julie was a large rabbit. She was a Californian.
She was not quite 12 when she lost the fight a few months ago. I still miss her and think her her daily..
I hope that you get some promising news at the vet tomorrow and can continue on.

Last edited:
I am really sorry to hear that Rosie is seemingly now more poorly. I would be surprised if it the Daktarin helped her mouth immediately after one application. But it could have contributed to gut dysbiosis and caused diarrhoea. Personally unless a definitive diagnosis of oral thrush were made I would be very reluctant to continue giving the Daktarin. There are other systemic conditions which can cause oral ulceration and these are not fungal at all.

As she has not had any blood tests taken I do wonder if this is now actually essential to assess her major organ function and possibly give some insight into what is going on. IV fluids are almost certainly essential at this point too due to the diarrhoea and ptyalism. Of course it may be that Rosie is now far too ill to endure further intervention and you and your Vet are the only people in the position to make that judgement. Whatever decisions you make I know they will be made with Rosie's best interests as a priority. It is obvious how much you love Rosie and you have tried so hard to help her.

I really hope that the Vet can offer some hope of further treatment, I completely empathise with how you are feeling at the moment.

Oh i see Julie looks like a Netherland in her picture. I got the scale of size wrong. She is beautiful. No i don't have any pics but in a few threads i posted a week or so ago there is a video of when her breathing had become worse. She looks like a wildie - brown agouti marking.. I never could work out how to upload pics here. I gave just given her another 10mls of critical care which the wee sausage took well but her breathing is worse now and she is just lying stretched out on the ground :( i don't know what the vet will say but I am preparing for the worst. I don't know if it's the daktarin causing the problem or not. How long do u wait for improvement? ? It's hard to watch her slowly going down hill. Last week at vets she was down 300g over the course of 2 -4 weeks from 1.8kg to 1.5kg and has been syringe fed since Sunday. Apart from taking the syringe feed she has no interest in her buddies or anything else. .I am sorry u lost Julie and can totally understand ur pain . I miss my Lance and all my pets who have past every day. Thanks for posting during the night it was really appreciated.

Thanks Jane. The Daktarin really made a difference my husband agreed too it stopped the hair pulling and appeared to sooth her mouth but now I have made things worse. I only did what the vet advised. Its not watery diarrhoea but soft mushy poo but i guess that could still be dibyosis. I will defo get bloods taken if she is fit . Whatever she needs she will get.

Thanks Jane. The Daktarin really made a difference my husband agreed too it stopped the hair pulling and appeared to sooth her mouth but now I have made things worse. I only did what the vet advised. Its not watery diarrhoea but soft mushy poo but i guess that could still be dibyosis. I will defo get bloods taken if she is fit . Whatever she needs she will get.

Of course you were only doing as your Vet advised, it may be that the Daktarin played no part in causing the gut problems. 'Soft poo' can occur if all a Rabbit has ingested over several days is syringe feeds. IV fluids may help Rosie to feel a lot better within herself and stabalise her enough to enable further diagnostics to be run.

Millions more vibes being sent for her xx

Daktarin oral gel is this? I have known it cause soft poo in a guinea pig. It could be the sweeteners, as you say.

I have no advice as never used Daktarin but good luck. It seems to be one thing after another but sending lots of vibes that something works and Rose gets a lot better x

Rosie admitted for iv fluids and usual vet saud she thinks the white under her tongue is pus :( starting her on daily depocillin injections. So hope this works for her.

Rosie admitted for iv fluids and usual vet saud she thinks the white under her tongue is pus :( starting her on daily depocillin injections. So hope this works for her.

Getting her onto IV fluids will make her feel so much better Nicky. I really hope that you will receive some optimistic news about her later today xx

I hope that the Iv fluids give her the strength to fight this and that her vet can figure out exactly what is going on.
sending more Rosie vibes,

Hi Nicky

Sorry not to be around to answer your first email last night ...

I'm glad she is on fluids, it's something I would have recommended, as it always makes a bunny feel better whatever the problem is. I hope she responds to the depocillin and shows some improvement soon. I really do understand the position you are in. It's so impossibly difficult and heartbreaking, I know.

Many (((( vibes )))) for Rosie xxx

Back