• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for a Picky Rabbit

horsebrai

New Kit
Hello-
I am stuck. I have a female spayed mini lop who can be quite the trouble maker. She has stasis problems so I have to be careful about what she has access to, and I am trying to find a good floor for her. She doesn't always chew, but she has in the past and because she is sensitive I need something that she can't chew. In the past we have had an outdoor rug that extended outside her cage held down by 6 bricks, but she was able to somehow bunch it up to where she could chew it. She will do the same with fleece.
For a while she was on giant cardboard boxes for the floor, but they are a pain to clean and replace. I see posts about rubber mats, but I'm scared she will ingest the rubber-she has sat there just biting the floor, even though she has a lot of toys, and I am constantly giving her new ones. She's quite the destroyer ;). Has anyone else had a problem with that? I'm taking her to college with me and I am hoping to have her set up in a big dog crate at night and an x-pen in the day. She prefers the cold floors to any blanket but I want something cushioning for her little feet. Any ideas or advice would be very helpful!

Hi :wave: My bunnies have vetbed on the floor of their shed, however if your girls a chewer this may not be ideal. Have you considered getting her a friend? A mate may keep her occupied and stop her from chewing the floor. Just a thought :)

The problem with soft flooring and buns that are chewers, is that it will always get chewed up. The only way to provide soft flooring that is safe to also chew, is to put hay over hard flooring.

Rubber horse stall mats are very durable and hard for them to chew, especially if they can't get to the edges, but they are also extremely heavy to haul around.

Lino is what a lot of people use. Not necessarily soft, but durable and difficult to chew if you put the edges on the outside of the pen.

Would untreated Seagrass matting be an option? Yes it will get chewed a bit - mine chew far less than I thought and they always leave piles of the shredded stuff so I donlt think they eat much if any. It's the same stuff thats in all the natural edible bunny toys.

Thanks! We tried lino, but she somehow got at it within a day. With the horse mats, is it possible for her to get bite sized pieces off? I have caught her trying to bite the floor.

Back