• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Milo : He's getting worse! :( UPDATE BEEN TO VET

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Will be rushing Milo straight to the vet in the morning! Came to get him out of his hutch for a play and he can't lift his left ear! Its flat to his back while his other is up. He keeps flicking his head like its irritating him! He looks like he's tilting to the side but I don't know if thats my imagination because that ear is down! He is still eating drinking and pooping okay and still being very loving (though not as playful!) I'm freaking out and very upset that my little bunny isn't well. I've researched looks like its an inner ear infection? Based on his sneezing and such before hand (he's still sneezing a lot now) Reassurance would be greatly appreciated! We will be at the vets door as soon as they open :(

Last edited:
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this. Can't offer advise I'm afraid, but really hope it's not serious. Sending vibes to you and Milo, they are such a worry, our bunnies, aren't they xx

Oh dear, poor little man. He is on Septrin (antibiotic) at the moment isn't he ? I expect the Vet may consider changing the antibiotic and also adding a treatment for EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi). Although an ear infection does seem to be more likely as respiratory tract infections and ear infections can be related, the Vet may also want to cover him for EC too and so Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole) may be prescribed. The course is usually given for 28 days, sometimes for 6 weeks. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory eg Metacam may also be prescribed.

Sending lots of get well vibes for him xx

anything i can do to help him until morning? :(

It is important to make sure he keeps eating and drinking, even if he is not eating quite as enthusiastically as usual. You could always give your Vet's out-of-hours number a call for telephone advice this evening if you are concerned that Milo may need to be seen before tomorrow morning.

He's eating and drink same as usual just more lethargic! I've got a syringe to give him water if hes not drinking as much as i want him to x

He's eating and drink same as usual just more lethargic! I've got a syringe to give him water if hes not drinking as much as i want him to x

I know it will be difficult, but try to remain as calm and 'matter of fact' around him as possible. He will pick up on it if you seem anxious. Just try to act 'ordinary' with regards to his usual evening routine xx

Will be rushing Milo straight to the vet in the morning! Came to get him out of his hutch for a play and he can't lift his left ear! Its flat to his back while his other is up. He keeps flicking his head like its irritating him! He looks like he's tilting to the side but I don't know if thats my imagination because that ear is down! He is still eating drinking and pooping okay and still being very loving (though not as playful!) I'm freaking out and very upset that my little bunny isn't well. I've researched looks like its an inner ear infection? Based on his sneezing and such before hand (he's still sneezing a lot now) Reassurance would be greatly appreciated! We will be at the vets door as soon as they open :(

Oh No, I am so sorry to read this!

Can you ring the vet surgery and warn them that you will be coming in first thing? I don't know if your vet has an answer machine. Would be a good idea if his usual vet saw him, as he may want to change the antibiotics he's on and also add in Panacur *just in case* it's anything connected with E.C.

It's important between now and then to keep him eating and drinking. You say you have a syringe - you could perhaps stock up on a pouch of organic pure baby food (Ella's Kitchen is good) just in case you need it between now and tomorrow. I know lots of the shops are closed, but those little corner ones are still open.

Good luck, I hope all is well overnight and you manage to get some rest xx

I'm not too worried about eating and drinking as hes still eating fine. He has a small carry cage in the room which we use to take him to the vet and he spent the last half hour hiding in their just munching on hay- coming out occasionally to have a drink! Gonna keep a close eye on him and hopefully all will be well. Don't think I'm going to sleep very well. They always seem to pick awkward days to get poorly :(

I'm not too worried about eating and drinking as hes still eating fine. He has a small carry cage in the room which we use to take him to the vet and he spent the last half hour hiding in their just munching on hay- coming out occasionally to have a drink! Gonna keep a close eye on him and hopefully all will be well. Don't think I'm going to sleep very well. They always seem to pick awkward days to get poorly :(

Dont they just.

I hope you all manage to get some rest tonight and that Mr Milo will get on OK at the Vet in the morning xx

Just catching this now and sending vibes that your dear wee bun will be okay. Please let us know how you get on with the vet in the morning when you can. (((((Hugs)))) xxxx

Just been out to check on him and he seems very alert ear partly up lots of food and drink eaten and drunk. I don't know if its because the antibiotics we're giving him for his sneezes have kicked in or if he's just had a long sleep and feels a bit better but we will be at the vets regardless of what he is like in the morning!!!
x

Just been out to check on him and he seems very alert ear partly up lots of food and drink eaten and drunk. I don't know if its because the antibiotics we're giving him for his sneezes have kicked in or if he's just had a long sleep and feels a bit better but we will be at the vets regardless of what he is like in the morning!!!
x

Glad to hear that bit of good news before falling asleep ..... Good luck at the vet's tomorrow and I hope you can get some rest yourself :wave:

x

It is always stressful when our buns are ill, so I encourage you to get some rest while he is stable and check on him regularly. He may need some pain meds/anti inflamatory in addition to the antibiotics. Your close observation allowed you to notice a change so you can update the vet in the morning, so he has a good chance of recovering.

My buns always liked when I would keep them warmer than usual when they were ill. I would use one of those rice filled heating pads you put in the microwave to get it warm. It went under a couple of towels and then under one side of the bottom of a cage/carrier (so the bunny could move away if he/she wanted). In the very cold weather I even took it to the vets and asked them to toss it in their microwave to heat it up before I left so my bunny's carrier was on a warm car seat as I drove him home.

Update: We woke up to a generally happy bunny. Ears both pointing up, binkying around the room, lots of licks and love. I'm wasn't falling for it, I knew as soon as I felt okay he'd take a turn and he has. Ear is flat again and he keeps digging at the ground/flipping his head. Booked in with the vets this evening - didn't push because they sounded pretty stressed and I figured although he's not great he seems happy enough (eating drinking etc) so i'll just keep a close eye and give him lots of love today! Will keep you all updated! (I may nap - not a good nights sleep haha)

Glad he's eating and drinking ok, that's a good sign. Good luck at vets later, and get some rest yourself, looking after buns can be exhausting x

Update: We woke up to a generally happy bunny. Ears both pointing up, binkying around the room, lots of licks and love. I'm wasn't falling for it, I knew as soon as I felt okay he'd take a turn and he has. Ear is flat again and he keeps digging at the ground/flipping his head. Booked in with the vets this evening - didn't push because they sounded pretty stressed and I figured although he's not great he seems happy enough (eating drinking etc) so i'll just keep a close eye and give him lots of love today! Will keep you all updated! (I may nap - not a good nights sleep haha)

It's as bad as having a baby isn't it? (Well maybe you haven't, but trust me, it is :lol: )

All good vibes and wishes for the vet this evening xxxx

So we just got back from the vet with a 9day course of Baytrill? It's not what we had before - the one before was some baby rabbit medecine because they were worried about his bunny tummy! I HATED this vet I won't be staying with him long, he didn't really listen to what I had to say and didn't really seem to care about poor Milo at all - Milo seemed terrified! So we're home with (not banana tasting) medicine, a cardboard castle and a very scratched mummy where Milo tried to climb my chest to get away from Dr Nasty! :(

So we just got back from the vet with a 9day course of Baytrill? It's not what we had before - the one before was some baby rabbit medecine because they were worried about his bunny tummy! I HATED this vet I won't be staying with him long, he didn't really listen to what I had to say and didn't really seem to care about poor Milo at all - Milo seemed terrified! So we're home with (not banana tasting) medicine, a cardboard castle and a very scratched mummy where Milo tried to climb my chest to get away from Dr Nasty! :(

I am so sorry for your bad experience with Dr. Nasty. Baytril was the 'go to' antibiotic for my bunnies for years since it helps a lot of different infections and does not usually cause tummy aches with the correct dosage.
Sorry about your scratched chest-I know how much that can sting!
Good luck with Milo--he is lucky to have an owner like you.

Back