• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio after death of a paired bun

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone
After some help if possible. We had 2 pairs :'( Boris gave up his fight against all his illnesses yesterday and has left Florrie single. We kept our 2 pairs in 2 separate rooms with a baby gate in between, they couldn't see each other either but could hear. Florrie seems ok even though Boris isn't here. She hasn't seen his body though. She is eating and acting normal so far, we did her some cuddly toys last night, she's now grooming them and laying next to them. Long term we want to try bond her with our other pair (having 2 pairs was never our plan and not ideal). We are going to start with bunny meetings in a totally sepreate room increasing times ect and also penning her in the front room with the others whilst we are in. Main question is when to start? what's best for Florrie? do we need to leave it a couple of days or weeks or can we move her into the other room today and start their meetings in the neuteral space tomorrow?

I've just had the same scenario - two bonded pairs living next to each other (but couldn't see), I lost Skye earlier this year and after realising that there really weren't many bunnies in rescue suitable for Noah (he's blind so needed a calm, ideally big bun so as not to scare him), I thought I would just try a bond with my two, older sedate lionlops. I put them all in a neutral pen, took about 72 hours before I trusted them enough to move them back outside and they have been good ever since. They make a lovely trio and I do recommend it, but will of course caveat that I was prepared in the eventuality that they all fell out and had enough accommodation to cope with that until re-bonds could be attempted. For me, it was worth the risk

Back