• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapizole dosage question

beki

Mama Doe
Both bunnies are on a 28 day course of lapizole. I have given up on syringing it in for now and have given it to them on a variety of food such as weetabix and kale. It is going in easier this way. They do not eat out of my hand so the best way to give it to them is shut them in the hutch, each with a bowl, one on top layer one on bottom And wait for them to eat it. As this can take a while I pop in and out of the house.

Last night I saw ruby finish most of her bowl and Bertie have some of his, when I came back they had swapped bowls. So one bunny may have got a little more of a little less than the stated dose, is this going to cause problems with treatment? Also syringing the medicine into their mouths, I end up losing some when they spit it out, and as I am not sure how much has been lost I don't top up with more, so they will be having a lower dose, should I be topping it up? I don't want to risk overdose.

I will try and block the hutch levels off so I can control the dosage a bit more but I was wondering about what they had taken so far. We are 7 days into treatment

A one off slight 'over dose' of Fenbendazole (Lapizole) wont be a problem, higher than 20mg/kg dose rates are sometimes prescribed anyway. Under-dosing may be an issue as far as efficacy of treatment goes,especially if it keeps occurring. Personally I prefer to use the 'syringe directly into mouth' method for administering medication unless it is 100% impossible. I am 'firm but fair' and the Rabbit always gets a tasty treat afterwards :)

Both bunnies are on a 28 day course of lapizole. I have given up on syringing it in for now and have given it to them on a variety of food such as weetabix and kale. It is going in easier this way. They do not eat out of my hand so the best way to give it to them is shut them in the hutch, each with a bowl, one on top layer one on bottom And wait for them to eat it. As this can take a while I pop in and out of the house.

Last night I saw ruby finish most of her bowl and Bertie have some of his, when I came back they had swapped bowls. So one bunny may have got a little more of a little less than the stated dose, is this going to cause problems with treatment? Also syringing the medicine into their mouths, I end up losing some when they spit it out, and as I am not sure how much has been lost I don't top up with more, so they will be having a lower dose, should I be topping it up? I don't want to risk overdose.

I will try and block the hutch levels off so I can control the dosage a bit more but I was wondering about what they had taken so far. We are 7 days into treatment

My vet prescribes double doses of Panacur when needed, so you won't have overdosed. I don't believe an 'under dose' for one day will make any difference. You can always continue the course for one day more.

I don't put meds on food, but it does sometimes take an age to get it into their mouths and for them to swallow :shock:

Back