• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So I guess Tink is a dental bun now...

AmyKennedy

Young Bun
hey guys!
Some of you might remember that a month or so ago I took tink to the vets and found out she had a tapeworm cyst in her jawbone and some significant jaw and teeth problems. We went back yesterday for a checkup on how she is healing and everything and she needed the cyst to be drained again, not as bad as last time but still :( They have given her a normal tapeworm treatment and hopefully this is going to stop the cyst from getting any worse because every time it refills it could potentially be causing more irreversible bone damage to her jaw. She also had to have her front teeth trimmed, as they are actually growing wrong now, and wearing really strangely... he thinks her front teeth will have to be trimmed every 4-6 weeks and her back ones every 2-3 months :( I've never really heard of a bun having to have this much teeth work so often, has anyone else had this? She's always been totally fine, no noticeable pain, he thinks its not hurting her at all and she always eats fine but obviously i would rather keep treating it before it ever gets to that... the tooth trimming and the draining was actually done while i was waiting at the vets so it only took 5-10 minutes... I also got her vaccines at the same time and it only came to £65 so that seems really cheap to me?
any tips for a bun with this many dental issues? still thinking about going pellet free but completely forgot to ask the vet yesterday, but he did say to give her a very small amount of pellets, not much at all, so I might go to just using pellets as a treat rather than a set amount each day, to hopefully encourage her to eat more hay. Does grass wear down their teeth more or less than hay/veg? it seems really soft compared to hay but I'm not too sure whether to give it to her or not.
And advice and vibes much appreciated <3

Hay and grass both wear the teeth down in the same way, because it's the chewing action which wears the teeth down and both use the same technique. Veg does wear down the teeth but less so. Just be aware if you're feeding wet grass and also veg that that is a lot of water which may affect her poop so do introduce it gradually, and certainly would cause less drinking (which is fine, but just so you're aware so you don't worry!). Readigrass is a great product which my bunnies love, and it's helped get weight on Nena who has/had jaw abscesses for a few years. It is high in calcium so I would feed it in small amounts to begin with and gradually increase, and also consult your vet if you're concerned.

£65 does sound like a good price, but vaccinations are very cheap and the appointment was short so perhaps they did you a deal :D

I haven't read Tink's history so I can't offer any advice there unfortunately :(

Back