• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I get my rabbits incisor teeth removed?

Hi everyone!

I need some advice on what to do with one of my bunnies :( He has been having dental problems for the last couple of months and has had to have his incisors clipped twice now.

He has had normal teeth for most of his life (he's 3 now), and we noticed his incisors were overgrown for the first time a couple of months ago. The first vet at the surgery we saw said he must have damaged his tooth, which in turn caused them to overgrow, but when we took him the second time, another vet told us it's maloccusion and that we should have his incisors removed.

Since it's going to be a life changing decision, I'm not sure what to do? :( Can anyone who has a bunny that had to have their incisors removed please give me some advice? What is the aftercare?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

Incisor removal can sometimes be the best option for a Rabbit who needs to have them trimmed very frequently. It may be that the initial problem for your Rabbit was a broken tooth and that this then caused them to grow back incorrectly. It may be that your Rabbit's molar teeth need some attention too. Although this is by no means inevitable.

Rabbits can cope without incisors, they do require some dietary modification though and they may have problems eating some types of hay. No one Rabbit will be the same and it can be a case of trial and error to find out what your Rabbit would be able to manage as far as hay/grass goes. Veg generally needs to be thinly sliced/grated. Most incisorless Rabbits seem to manage to eat Pellets OK.

If the Incisors are to be removed then I would only want it done by a very 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet. Xrays would be necessary prior to the extractions to aid the Vet with assessing the precise amount of Dental disease present. The molar teeth would also need to be checked and any treatment necessary for them given.

This link may be useful to take a look at

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

Hi:wave:

Totally agree with everything jacks-jane said :thumb: all I can add is that sometimes incisors grow back after been removed...

My bun has has his incisors removed, best decision ever. Infact he seemed so happy when he came back from the vets he went straight over to his hay and chomped some, was better than the times he came back after just having them burred.
He adapted really well, eats his pellets hay and greens as normal, the only thing he struggles with is banana - I used to give him it occasionally as a treat but now he cant manage it unless I cut one slice into pieces that measure like 4mm x4mm poor thing!!

Thankyou for your replies and your advice. I have decided to book him in for the operation to have his incisors removed, because of how quickly his teeth grew after his last appointment when he has them burred. i don't want to put him through having his teeth burred every 2 weeks :( Our local vet is experienced with rabbits, I had 5 of my bunnies neutered there a couple of years ago. His molars have been checked and they are fine. I think he must have damaged with one of his incisors a couple of months ago, although I have no idea how :( At the moment, he is still eating his pellets and yesterday, he managed to eat some strips of carrot. He was given an injection of baytril by the vet and he's been having oral baytril for just over a week to help with an absess he had. He is going in for his operation tomorrow. When he comes home afterwards, should we just give him his pellets or something softer? I've read something about adding some water to the pellets to soften them?

Thankyou for your replies and your advice. I have decided to book him in for the operation to have his incisors removed, because of how quickly his teeth grew after his last appointment when he has them burred. i don't want to put him through having his teeth burred every 2 weeks :( Our local vet is experienced with rabbits, I had 5 of my bunnies neutered there a couple of years ago. His molars have been checked and they are fine. I think he must have damaged with one of his incisors a couple of months ago, although I have no idea how :( At the moment, he is still eating his pellets and yesterday, he managed to eat some strips of carrot. He was given an injection of baytril by the vet and he's been having oral baytril for just over a week to help with an absess he had. He is going in for his operation tomorrow. When he comes home afterwards, should we just give him his pellets or something softer? I've read something about adding some water to the pellets to soften them?

Yes, you can soften his pellets for a few days after the op. It is very important that the Vet prescribes adequate pain relief to be given daily too.

You say he has an abscess, is this a Dental abscess-ie along his jaw/by his mouth ? I would strongly advise you to discuss having skull Xrays taken BEFORE the Vet attempts to extract the Incisors. If there is infection involved in any Dental disease how extensive it is needs to be determined, especially if it has effected the actual bones. A dental abscess usually needs some sort of surgical intervention too. If it is a Dental abscess it may all be related to the now maloccluded incisors.

I hope that all goes well for his treatment xx

You can soften pellets for a while after the op, but with adequate pain relief (for you to administer at home) he should do well and begin to pull food in with his lips and chew on his molars. I have found soft food like carrot strips and herbs (with their stalks on) useful for getting bunnies to learn the techniques of eating without incisors.

Back