• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch for the spring

Mazzy

Young Bun
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent hutch up to 6.5ft in length with a run underneath. My house bunnies will during the spring through autumn be residing during the day in a hutch. I'm not concerned about the base of the run part as we have wire meshed both the lawns when we seeded them. We don't have much space where we want it to go (late evening sun so not too hot when we are out) and with the new fencing on 3 sides of the garden and decking waiting to be done which is going to cost a small fortune up to £200 will have to be the budget for the hutch.

I have seen a few but they all seem to be less than 6ft which even if it's only going to be housing for around 6 hours it seems rather cruel as both are rather large rabbits at 2.8kg and 3.8kg. They will get free reign time in the garden before I leave for work at 11am and again on a evening when my partner is home from work and on nice days my neighbour will let me out for a hour and be back to free reign in the living room for bedtimes.

When you say during the day, I take it you mean they'll only be out during the day and not permanently? If so, you'll get a lot more space for your money by just getting a run and then putting a shelter in it and a tarpaulin to keep any rain off. You could get a smaller hutch or something like this to give them a hidey-hole to escape to: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Natu...rp_a1_6_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DE557730096WAM7G53D

Or if you really want a hutch +run setup I think something like this would be best value for money. I don't think a 6ft hutch would really matter if they have permanent access to the run. http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutches-runs/sykes-rabbit-hutch-run-combo-detail

Last edited:
Another suggestion is the welfare hutch company, they do 2 sizes of hutch+run combos and I'm sure they'd make a bigger run if you wanted.

They also do fantastic size runs which are 3ft high - so would be great for your big bunnies! You could add a shelter/hutch inside this instead of getting a full combination if it works out more cost effective for the space provided.

Back