• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging, Digging, Digging

Mandmcc

Alpha Buck
My doe, Blossom, who is bonded with Bobert, has just this weekend started digging out her litter tray. She jumps in there and digs it so it flies all over the living room. I have no idea why she's doing this - the litter tray is clean, there's plenty of food, she has the run of the kitchen / living / dinning room, she neutered, has loads of toys. She hasn't been a digger before so I'm wondering if the sudden change in behaviour is symptomatic of something? Any ideas?

Maybe she just thinks it's a bit of a giggle that every time she does it I have to clean it up because every time I sit down for a few minutes... dig dig dig!!!

f48bd475b2fa783f416a222e50dd28e0.jpg

a48730ecf6caf213cb2d8bdc128b7817.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I can suggest is getting one of those big storage boxes as a litter tray? That's what mine have so any mess they make is contained!

She's a cheeky looking bunny! :D

Only thing I can suggest is getting one of those big storage boxes as a litter tray? That's what mine have so any mess they make is contained!

She's a cheeky looking bunny! :D

Good idea! I'll try and see what happens :)

You have my sympathy....

My willow is a prolific digger,,, i bought a huge storage tray, double the size of a standard tray and it doesnt matter, she digs it all out, even with poor Bramble in the tray. I stuffed lush straw in their hidey house, she dug it all out, i put new fleece on her houses, she dug that too, she is just a digger.....

I will have to invest in a digging tray like some others in here but am unsure if the shed will be long enough!!

Good luck
Fee x

Hmmm maybe she's discovered that she likes digging then!! I shall look into this digging tray thing and see if I can accommodate something similar. Thanks Fee, good idea!

Heehee.... I think some people have big long planters filled with soil but i am unsure what type of soil as I wouldnt like the wrong type to collapse in on her if she dug a wee tunnel.. I am unsure if there is a right 'type'.. Maybe someone can help?

If you buying then top soil or soil based compost, not potting compost. The first two will have more sand/clay in so should tunnel better.

If it's undercover then giving it a spay of water now and then might help too.

Heehee.... I think some people have big long planters filled with soil but i am unsure what type of soil as I wouldnt like the wrong type to collapse in on her if she dug a wee tunnel.. I am unsure if there is a right 'type'.. Maybe someone can help?

Wowsie this a big scale project lol! I'd love her to dig a wee tunnel if that's her hearts desire; but I definitely can accommodate on indoors lol - I feel a spring yard project coming on :)

You can get covered litter boxes which could help with the mess and I think giving her a separate digging box will be a good idea.

I have had Louie 5 and a half years and, a few weeks ago, he started digging up the gravel in the back garden :roll:

You can get covered litter boxes which could help with the mess and I think giving her a separate digging box will be a good idea.

I was just looking those up, I take a trip to the pet shop this week for a litter tray upgrade!

I have had Louie 5 and a half years and, a few weeks ago, he started digging up the gravel in the back garden :roll:

I suppose they just get an idea in their wee heads and that's it! She was previously a stray though so maybe she has previous on this behaviour lol!

Back