• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie advice needed

We have finally got around to buying a hutch and the intention was for the rabbit to go into the garage . Will this be ok with it coming up to winter?
Also I'm not sure how to set up the hutch, it's a two storey so I was thinking to put her hay manger downstairs as I assume she will continue to poop after eating however there is no base to the bottom level so do I just put a load of bedding down ? I recently bought one of the corner poop tray but she just chucks it around so that's hasn't worked. if her hay is downstairs should the water be too?
I was thinking of covering the top level with the bedding too but with her toys and snuggles .

I really have no idea so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

The hutch can be put into a garage as long as cars are not stored in there, because of the toxic exhaust fumes. A hutch on its own isn't enough space, so if you can attach a large run, at least 6ft x 6ft, then that'll be great.

Is your two storey hutch with a run underneath? I would put bedding down on both levels to provide comfort. A hay manager next to a litter tray will help litter train her.

do you know what temperature the garage is? if she has previously been inside then it is too cold to put her out now, and garages are often not much warmer than outside temperatures. how old is she? underbid storage boxes work well as a litter tray and you can put the hay in there to encourage her to eat and poo in it :) she'll probably let you know where she wants it though! it's best just to move it to wherever she chooses to toilet.

I take it there is an enclosed section on the top layer? I'd fill that way hay and then depending where she goes pop down an underbed storage box on that level. That's big enough for pooping one end and a pile of hay the other. The water can be either.

A lot of people line the hutch with lino for easy cleaning and then you don't need litter everywhere :)

Back