• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sadly Twinkle has cancer

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
She did her not eating thing this morning.

Did a dose of pain killer, 2 lots of infacol and some critical care at half seven.

By half 8 she was lethargic so weve whisked her off to the vets.

On our way to the vets she sat up and started eating!!

We still went and I am glad we did because they've found a mass round a nipple, probably another mammary tumour, but its bigger in that its going inwards if that makes sense, I don't know how ive missed it, we had one 3 years ago.

Shes about 9 years old now. Shes had gut medications this morning at the vets and basically weve brought her home for whatever quality time we have left.

Shes sat on my rug eating anything and everything now and being fussed.

Both me and the vet have decided that shes too old to operate on, its just too much to ask of her in her very twilight years.

so very sorry. I am sure her last days or weeks will be treasured and loving ones and she has had a wonderful life with you

So sorry - poor twinkle but sounds like she's had a long and happy life
Hope she stays stable and comfortable for as long as possible and you have some more wonderful moments with her xx

Thanks everyone

Shes running round the garden like a loon and eating etc, Ive decided not to tell her that shes poorly:lol: because as far as Twinkle knows shes fine, long may it continue.

Weve had her just over 3 years, she wasn't spayed till she came to us at age 5 or 6, within a year of having her she had a mammary tumour removed so I reckon shes done well to go so long inbetween.

Shes got pain relief to have daily but the decision between me and our vet is that when she shows pain/distress or stops eating again then that's the time to do the one way trip, and my trio will then become a pair of mad boy bunnies.

This is that bit of pet owning that I don't like but I still think the good bits outweigh the bad which is just as well with the amount of pets we have.

Obviously I can multi task today because this afternoon Boo brought a live and kicking vole in and let it go! So that cheered up the day while me and the two kids chased the cats and the vole round the back room with a plastic jug and a piece of cardboard. I caught it and sent it back out to the allotment!

Sorry to hear Twinkle's news. If it's any consolation, Flira had several mamary tumours that she lived with for many years, never getting any bigger or causing any problems. She lived to 10.5.

Sending loads of vibes for her.

Back