• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to feed bunnies that are losing weight?

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
All of my bunnies (I have 6, all neutered, 3 male 3 female, 2 bonded pairs and 2 unsociable angry bunnies, both able to see my "safe" pair (I know their bond wont change, they're happy near other bunnies)) are losing weight. They have gone from a nice well covered healthy weight to slightly underweight over the past few weeks. Im assuming as all seem healthy and happy and the fact that its all of them that its not health related and is dietary. The youngest bunny is 8 months old, the oldest is 3 years so all young bunnies.

All bunnies are good hay eaters. They get through about a bale a week (standard small horse/farm bale) of meadow hay. They get a couple of handfuls of readigrass a month as a treat. They have one fenugreek crunchie per bun per day, plus one human single handful of pellets (excel adult normal) per bun per day until a month ago when I noticed weight loss, since then they have had 2 handfuls per bun. I hand pick grass, forage and apple twigs for them regularly. All poos are lovely big golden poos and plenty of them.

Where am I going wrong? Im worried as they are all outdoor bunnies and we're starting to get colder weather I would rather they were a tad plump than skinny. They have nice warm beds with megazorb base then soft straw shoved in as much as possible, hutches are already covered with tarp/proper covers and the playhouse is sheltered and not at all draughty. Is there something I can feed them to make them gain some weight? I dont want to upset tummies as they are not used to anything different to the current diet and were fine til recently.

How strange that all 6 have lost weight. Are you sure they have lost weight not their winter coat making them look different? You could try weighing one or two then check again in a week's time and if they are still losing weight the Vet might be able to advise.

I usually feel over them daily and although its not the sort of change you would notice over a week, the decline since 2 months ago is definitely noticeable. I would say my singles have lost less if anything and my males in my bonded pairs the most, particularly hamish who is the one most sensitive to changes.

Whats the best way to weigh bunnies that arent exactly cuddly? I only have 2 that dont mind being handled (my singles) the others are varying levels of savage! Obviously I want stress at a minimum given the current issues.

All of my bunnies (I have 6, all neutered, 3 male 3 female, 2 bonded pairs and 2 unsociable angry bunnies, both able to see my "safe" pair (I know their bond wont change, they're happy near other bunnies)) are losing weight. They have gone from a nice well covered healthy weight to slightly underweight over the past few weeks. Im assuming as all seem healthy and happy and the fact that its all of them that its not health related and is dietary. The youngest bunny is 8 months old, the oldest is 3 years so all young bunnies.

All bunnies are good hay eaters. They get through about a bale a week (standard small horse/farm bale) of meadow hay. They get a couple of handfuls of readigrass a month as a treat. They have one fenugreek crunchie per bun per day, plus one human single handful of pellets (excel adult normal) per bun per day until a month ago when I noticed weight loss, since then they have had 2 handfuls per bun. I hand pick grass, forage and apple twigs for them regularly. All poos are lovely big golden poos and plenty of them.

Where am I going wrong? Im worried as they are all outdoor bunnies and we're starting to get colder weather I would rather they were a tad plump than skinny. They have nice warm beds with megazorb base then soft straw shoved in as much as possible, hutches are already covered with tarp/proper covers and the playhouse is sheltered and not at all draughty. Is there something I can feed them to make them gain some weight? I dont want to upset tummies as they are not used to anything different to the current diet and were fine til recently.

If the apparent weight loss isn't due to moulting, and bunnies can really seem like they've lost weight when their thick coat disappears, then I would suggest upping the readigrass and perhaps adding some veggies to the diet. Readigrass has a higher nutritional content than hay. I personally prefer adding veggies rather than adding more pellets as it's more interesting for the bunnies (greater quantity to eat) and adds greater variety of nutrients.

I am unsure if this is right but I believe Burns Green Oat Hay is good for bunnies to increase weight while still encouraging hay eating... I cant be sure why but I know Smudge put on weight after bouts of stasis by eating loads of it...

Good luck..

Fee x

Apart from the obvious loss of fur which makes them look different, moulting itself actually uses a lot of energy and burns a lot of calories.

Great oat hay is a nice healthy weight increaser and if really necessary junior pellets instead if adult ones.

Thanks everyone, I'll grab some oat hay tomorrow, think the garden centre does it. I'll add some veggies in too, whats safe to add if theyre only used to forage? I dont want to overdo it! My piggies have green pepper, outer leaves of cauliflower and some cucumber tonight, as well as their share of forage, can the bunnies eat that or is that not useful? I have some carrot but is that too high in sugar? I only use it as piggie treat. I can pop out tomorrow and buy the best veggies. I want to try and find the balance between more food and upset tummies.

It could be moult I suppose, they have been changing over to winter fluffs and did moult a lot over summer to a very light coat. Would they naturally pick up again with some extras? I've given them extra readigrass today which they are all tucking into.

Back