• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns Still Not Eating Caecotrophs?

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
Hello, it has been a couple of weeks since I posted as I have been trying to settle in my 3 baby buns who are now 12 weeks old but have a few minor concerns which I will post in relevant sections.

They are now in their permanent hutch and run with tunnel system which they seem to have adapted to very well however, they are STILL not eating their caecotrophs. I posted about this a couple of weeks ago and it was thought this could be due to diet and being unsettled. However, they are well installed now in Chateau Bun and I completely stopped the fresh greens and upped their hay intake. They love the Timothy Hay, have all day access to lawn and also seem to gobble their Excel Burgess Pellets for juniors but they are leaving their caecals everywhere.

I weighed them just after I got them at 9 weeks and again today and these are their weights...
Bumble Bee - 660g and two weeks on 830g... again of 170g
Nutmeg - 730g and 915g... gain of 185g
Biscuit (the male) - 650g and 880g... gain of 230g

Does this sound right for 12 week Dutches? I have avoided upping the pellet intake to encourage them to eat more grass and hay but I think they look lean and could do with a bit more weight on them. This is all very new for me and I am learning so any help welcomed.

Last edited:
Hello, it has been a couple of weeks since I posted as I have been trying to settle in my 3 baby buns who are now 12 weeks old but have a few minor concerns which I will post in relevant sections.

They are now in their permanent hutch and run with tunnel system which they seem to have adapted to very well however, they are STILL not eating their caecotrophs. I posted about this a couple of weeks ago and it was thought this could be due to diet and being unsettled. However, they are well installed now in Chateau Bun and I completely stopped the fresh greens and upped their hay intake. They love the Timothy Hay, have all day access to lawn and also seem to gobble their Excel Burgess Pellets for juniors but they are leaving their caecals everywhere.

I weighed them just after I got them at 9 weeks and again today and these are their weights...
Bumble Bee - 660g and two weeks on 830g... again of 170g
Nutmeg - 730g and 915g... gain of 185g
Biscuit (the male) - 650g and 880g... gain of 230g

Does this sound right for 12 week Dutches? I have avoided upping the pellet intake to encourage them to eat more grass and hay but I think they look lean and could do with a bit more weight on them. This is all very new for me and I am learning so any help welcomed.

Many Rabbits have problems with excess cecals when fed Excel Pellets. This could be exacerbated if they also eat a lot of grass. How much Excel do they get a day ? It may be that changing them onto something like Fibafirst would be beneficial

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

I had this problem with my rescue bunny, Gerry. He always left caecotrophs since we got him in May. We saw a vet and after trying pain relief and fibreplex paste, we tried Bio Lapis. After 2 weeks on it, he started to eat all his caecotrophs. Now he's on 1 sachet every day and eats almost every caecotroph.

Maybe ask your vet about it and about the use of probiotics for young bunnies.

I had this problem with my rescue bunny, Gerry. He always left caecotrophs since we got him in May. We saw a vet and after trying pain relief and fibreplex paste, we tried Bio Lapis. After 2 weeks on it, he started to eat all his caecotrophs. Now he's on 1 sachet every day and eats almost every caecotroph.

Maybe ask your vet about it and about the use of probiotics for young bunnies.

Thank you LionheadLuver. I am willing to try anything.

Back