• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damp underneath/paws - uti?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi

One of our buns has been damp underneath for a few days now. He's not soaking wet but he usually leaves little damp marks on ground or towel. His hutch is clean. We gave a him a bath (if you can call it that) but it hasn't helped. He is nearly 8.
We have just moved house recently but he seems happy enough and is eating and drinking normally. We have also changed his diet a little - I have cut down on his ss pellets and only giving him veg as a treat instead of his two handfuls a day. We've only been doing this for four but not really noticing a difference.
He does have a litter tray in his out door and indoor run but they are only lined with newspaper, so may be he's just sitting in his pee more than usual but never had a problem with this before.
Is there anything else I can do?
Also what kind of checks will the vet be able to do if we say to him?

I'm sorry no one has got back to you.Did you take him to the vet yet?

I would take him to find out if he has a urine infection. He may also have problems due to E.C. which can cause kidney issues. Your vet may advise a course of Panacur.

Bladder sludge can also cause leaking. But make sure you have a competent vet who will know what to do and what to suspect is happening.

Good luck :wave:

Hi

One of our buns has been damp underneath for a few days now. He's not soaking wet but he usually leaves little damp marks on ground or towel. His hutch is clean. We gave a him a bath (if you can call it that) but it hasn't helped. He is nearly 8.
We have just moved house recently but he seems happy enough and is eating and drinking normally. We have also changed his diet a little - I have cut down on his ss pellets and only giving him veg as a treat instead of his two handfuls a day. We've only been doing this for four but not really noticing a difference.
He does have a litter tray in his out door and indoor run but they are only lined with newspaper, so may be he's just sitting in his pee more than usual but never had a problem with this before.
Is there anything else I can do?
Also what kind of checks will the vet be able to do if we say to him?

Given his age it may be that some degree of osteoarthritis in his hips/spine is involved. This can cause a Rabbit to be less clean regarding urination.

Other possibilities include a UTI which may or may not involve 'bladder sludge' issues.

Do you keep a regular check on your Rabbit's weight ? This is always a good idea, especially as a Rabbit ages. Unexplained weight loss can be an early warning sign of a health problem. The weightloss may occur long before any other obvious symptoms.

The Vet will need to carry out a comprehensive examination to try to determine the primary cause of the problem.

Good luck

Will a urine sample help the get rule anything straight away?

Has he not been to a Vet yet ?

A urine test can show if there is any evidence of infection/crystals (different types of crystals indicate different types of health problems) and if there are any signs of renal problems. The latter would need blood tests to confirm.

Sludge/sediment could be seen in the urine of a Rabbit with 'bladder sludge'

Back