• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in run?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hi there,

Just went out to see my rabbit Flo who is in her new wooden run.
On the wood next to her toileting corner there was red liquid soaked in and some tiny droplets on the grass. There was some urine also of the normal yellow-orange colour. She's had no change in appetite, drinking, still pooing and weeing. No behavioural changes either (still a grumpy miss!). My dad tried to pick her up but she got grumpy so couldn't. I had a look when she was laying down and from what I saw her back end seems normal.
Could this just be urine? Or should I get her checked out?
Really panicking it could be uterine problems as I don't know if she is spayed (I rescued her) :cry:

Any advice would be grateful!!!

If it is blood it may be that she has caught a toe nail and pulled it off, or she has a sore hock/hocks that have opened up

But given that you do not know if she is spayed I would get the Vet to check her over anyway.

I would get her checked out as soon as you can.

It could be nothing, she may have found a dandelion in the run or something. But if you are fairly sure it is blood and she may not be spayed I would want it checked out. Just in case.

Yeah, it looks like she's been chewing/digging at the wood so hopefully it's just that. One of our other rabbits did that.
I might ask the exotic vet at work if he can check her over at some point...I hope to god it's nothing serious!!!

Have you dabbed it in tissue paper? If it's urine it will become orange on tissue paper. If it's blood it will stay red.

If it is blood it may be that she has caught a toe nail and pulled it off, or she has a sore hock/hocks that have opened up

But given that you do not know if she is spayed I would get the Vet to check her over anyway.

I would get her checked out as soon as you can.

It could be nothing, she may have found a dandelion in the run or something. But if you are fairly sure it is blood and she may not be spayed I would want it checked out. Just in case.

Thank you both for the advice! Took her to see the vet about her eyes and he checked her over anyway. Apparently she's as fit as a fiddle! :thumb:

Back