• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Neutering best?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I think it is obviously! both of my boys are neutered!

I've found through looking at lots of rabbit groups on Facebook that lots of people are choosing to have large groups of rabbits that are not desexed! And some with pairs that aren't too! (male/male, female/female)

Even with the chance of uterine cancer in the girls, people tell me they have 12 year old female rabbits who have never had issues. Some have even had groups of boys together with no fights or health problems. Some however are telling me that they have the occasional ''scuffle'' but I don't know what to think about that? Surely neutering would stop the ''scuffles''?

I just wonder if anyone else here has rabbit that are not neutered and living happily together? I almost felt like I was being judged for having my boys done! :lol:

The only time I would not neuter a pet Rabbit is if the individual Rabbit had health problems making a GA an extremely high risk and/or if the Rabbit was very elderly. Oh and also if I intended to breed .............which I dont, before anyone jumps on me !

The only time I would not neuter a pet Rabbit is if the individual Rabbit had health problems making a GA an extremely high risk and/or if the Rabbit was very elderly. Oh and also if I intended to breed .............which I dont, before anyone jumps on me !

I've been speaking via Facebook to lady who's had rabbits for 50 years, she doesn't desex as she would have to drive for over 3-4 hours to a vet she trusts to do it.

I haven't been judgmental just asked her why, she says she has cares for rabbits for years and used to rescue them on her granddads farm from traps (around not in his farm) and foxes, then nurse them back to health. She has obviously done some good work for rabbits in the past but still chooses not to desex and vaccinate nowadays ect.

I think it might have something to do with being ''old fashioned''

But then again there are owners like yourself who have had rabbits for years and still keep up with the up to date methods and care. Which I think is the correct thing to do....

I've been speaking via Facebook to lady who's had rabbits for 50 years, she doesn't desex as she would have to drive for over 3-4 hours to a vet she trusts to do it.

I haven't been judgmental just asked her why, she says she has cares for rabbits for years and used to rescue them on her granddads farm from traps (around not in his farm) and foxes, then nurse them back to health. She has obviously done some good work for rabbits in the past but still chooses not to desex and vaccinate nowadays ect.

I think it might have something to do with being ''old fashioned''

But then again there are owners like yourself who have had rabbits for years and still keep up with the up to date methods and care. Which I think is the correct thing to do....

Yes, nothing should be set in stone as far as Rabbit health matters go. Knowledge increases and what was 'right' 10 years ago may not be so now. After I had my first Doe spayed (in 1999) I vowed 'never again'. She had a dreadful time, mainly due to an incompetent Vet. No pain relief at all as 'it would cause kidney failure' :roll: The poor Doe's abdomen was a total mess too. But once I realised that not all Vets are 'Rabbit Savvy' and found a much better one I realised that that first experience was far from 'normal'.

Yes, I definitely think some people are more interested in keeping up to date with current thinking with pet care than others. Others seem more 'that's the way I've always done it'.

I'm a bit obsessively the other way!

Yes, nothing should be set in stone as far as Rabbit health matters go. Knowledge increases and what was 'right' 10 years ago may not be so now. After I had my first Doe spayed (in 1999) I vowed 'never again'. She had a dreadful time, mainly due to an incompetent Vet. No pain relief at all as 'it would cause kidney failure' :roll: The poor Doe's abdomen was a total mess too. But once I realised that not all Vets are 'Rabbit Savvy' and found a much better one I realised that that first experience was far from 'normal'.

Its interesting to hear other's views on certain aspects of rabbit care. Some seem completely against it and have been advised that the risks of spaying a doe aren't worth it.

Some are more concerned with the rabbits mental state and don't feel its right to take away certain ''urges'' if you like.

I personally feel that the benefits of neutering outweigh the risks. You are lucky to have such a good vet on hand. Some don't have savvy vets in reach.

It was interesting for me at least. I've only been looking after rabbits for a few years and I'm looking forward to whatever I learn next.

I had two bucks in 1976 and our local vet neutered them (he was very pleased to get the chance to do the op. I remember). But their mum was left unspayed. I rehomed her :)cry:) which I will always deeply regret.

As you say, we are always learning.

I think neutering definitely outweighs the risk, especially for does. It can prevent pyometra (infection of the uterus) and also several cancers.
I will always neuter my animals, working at a vets makes it a little more convenient for me though! :thumb:

I am considering doing my boys but at only 11 weeks I have a while to wait till my vet will touch them. I'm pretty sure it's the best thing to do but they are getting on great. They aren't' t brothers but within a week they are grooming each other, sleeping together, following each other round. I know once hormones kick in, it could change, but in the meantime I'm just gonna observe as I would dread to think that I could make them fall out by having to separate them whilst there wounds heal.

Back