• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning the hutch - wee problem

Butterfly

Young Bun
Hi. Sorry if i have put this in the wrong section please feel free to move if i have.

I have two rabbits and i give them a clean out every day and a thorough clean once a week (empty the hutch, scrub it all out and discinfect). I have tried a litter tray in their hutch but they are not interested in using it. My problem is they wee down one side of the hutch in the bedding compartment and it literally runs out of the front of the hutch. The shavings are saturated and every day the bedding and hay has to be replaced.

Am i doing something wrong?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

How high are the sides of the litter tray? As I had that problem with a shallow litter tray. Something about the way they wee means they need high sides - which is why storage boxes are usually better than normal litter trays

Could you not move the litter tray to where they are weeing? It would hopefully encourage them to use it, if its placed in their chosen area!

Rabbits will always pee & poop where their hay is...they like to eat & pee at same time! Unfortunately most buns only like to eat really fresh hay and often like top ups during the day and at night, so you will go through a lot of hay, which is why many people use cheaper hay for bedding and put more expensive eating hay in a rack, or just ontop of the cheaper hay in smaller quantities.

edited to say that I also agree that a high sided storage box is good if you cvan get one to fit in the hutch.

I've tried the litter tray in that area, they managed to move it - little monkeys. Its quite a deep tray, i will maybe try a storage box though, i will get the measurements and see if i can find one that has the right dimensions.

Thanks all.

Something a little more absorbent than shavings may help. You could try paper based cat litter just for that area. Is the hutch floor sealed? If not I'd line it with lino/safety flooring to protect the wood.

I like the lino idea and the brick idea. Im going to try that. Ill let you know if it works 👍

Back