• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms - recurring - any advice please?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
One of our buns (from a rescue in Feb) is having a problem with pin worms recurring. We have treated with panacur 3 times (twice for 9 days and then once for 2 weeks) when they disappeared almost immediately but within a few weeks they reappeared. Both buns are being treated the same as a precaution.

Two weeks ago we took him back to the vet where he was given a Panomec Injection and last Tuesday he was given his second one. Last night I noticed a couple of worms again :roll:

All veg is washed thoroughly before being given.
Litter trays cleaned out daily and disinfected (purple spray stuff)
Hay is offered off the floor for eating (although both buns do sit in their litter tray and eat hay)
Full clean and disinfect of their living area.

They do get free range time in the garden.

I am at a loss as to what else I can do and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what they did to eliminate the little blighters.

He is fine in himself and eating/pooping normally.

I have read somewhere that thyme is a natural remedy to help expel them so will be buying quite a bit of this today.

We have never had a bun with worms before so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I am just bumping this up !!

I have PM'd you all I really know about the pesky worms xx

Thank you Jane. At least if anyone has any other info it may help others in the future who come across these damn things :roll:

I now have lots of thyme and other herbs freely available for them to nibble at when they are free ranging. Luckily they don't go mad on herbs like Homer and Katy used to so these may get a chance to grow a little (some are out of reach) :roll:

That's quite unusual, it's not that common for rabbits to have worm issues and it usually clears up with a course of pancur.

Have you looked at the worms up close to see if you can make an ID - pin worm can be used for a few different worms maybe it's not the common one and the life cycle is different.

Do you get wild rabbits in the garden?

If the current treatment doesn't work I would think the next step would be to stop them accessing the garden for a long enough period for any eggs to die off - I'm not sure how long they can survive outside. It sounds like your indoor cleaning is pretty thorough - the other thing would be to steam clean any soft furnishings eg carpet. Do check what the 'purple spray' works on - it should say on the bottle or the manufacturer will know.

Thanks Tamsin.

Defo pinworms looking at the photos and have also taken sample to vet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p....net%2Ff27%2Fbunny-has-worms-62553%2F;640;459

We don't get wild buns in the garden. The only thing is birds and the occasional neighbours cat. They don't come into the house (they don't want to :roll: ) they come as far as the back door, sit on the mat and won't come over it.

How long would we need to keep them off the garden.

We use Supreme keep it clean - maybe I need one that vets use.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=443&pf_id=56984
Supreme Keep It Clean Cleaner, Deodorant, Disinfectant 500ml is the ultimate cleaner, deodorant and disinfectant for pets environments. It is an advanced product that can be used in several ways to ensure that pet environments stay hygienically clean.
CLEANING – Can be used on hutches, cages, bedding, carpets and any housing areas.

DEODORISING – Safe to use on animals bedding and any accessories.

DISINFECTANT – Proven to assist in the prevention of bacterial infections such as Canine Distemper, Viral Haemorrhagic Disease and Myxomatosis. Also reduces the risks associated with Flystrike.

Keep It Clean is safe for use on all animals bedding.

ETA - rubber mats which I use are on offer at Aldi this week so those are going to be completely new.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbu...oduct-detail/ps/p/multi-purpose-floor-mats-1/

Last edited:
Hi bunnybabe, I was just stalking your threads to spy on Rambo and noticed this one! Strangely when I had Rambo I noticed on of my other rabbits Rocky had pinworms. I treated all of them with a 10 day course of panacur and *touch wood* mine have all been ok since as far as I can tell....although I am going to have a poo inspection later. I'm wondering if he has had them all this time although it was probably about a year ago?

Back