• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Drinking Excessively!!!

I have had my bunny Finn since the beginning of March, and she was just a baby when I got her. I would put her at the most, 5 or 6 months old. She was small enough to hold in one hand. When I had her for maybe a month and a half, she got e. cunniculi. However, I caught it very early and she responded well to her medicine. When I took her in to the vet for that she was just under 2 lbs, and I think she has gained a bit of weight since then. I believe her to be a Netherland Dwarf or some mix of Netherland Dwarf. However, in the last week or so, she has dramatically increased the amount of water she has been drinking. A 16 oz water bottle used to last her a around 2 days, maybe 3. She is now drinking 1, sometimes 1 and a half in a day. I have had to start cleaning out her litter pan everyday, rather than once every 2. She is urinating so much that she has started to pee elsewhere in her cage if I can't get to her litter pan in time and she was previously a very clean bunny. I have read that her drinking can be attributed to anything from teeth pain, my air conditioner dehydrating her, or something more serious. She eats a tablespoon of alfalfa pellets in the morning and evening and about a cup of washed greens along with her evening pellets. I rarely give her a carrot, apple or banana slice. She has also recently to stop caring for her hay. Other than the excessive drinking, her behavior is completely normal. She is not lethargic, and her usual energetic self. She is still affectionate. I am just wondering how seriously I should take this change in behavior. If it's something I should be concerned about, I can get her into the vet on Thursday morning.

I am very concerned, Finn is a well-loved bunny! If you need to know anything more, please ask. I want help for my baby!

From personal experience, I would take her to the vet as soon as you can, to check her kidneys are alright, especially given that she had e.cuniculi. It may just be down to the warmer weather or increased hay consumption and I sincerely hope it is, but it would be better to be safe than sorry.

However I am by no means as experienced a bunny owner as many of the people on here so I shall let them advise you further.

When she was drinking less, was your air conditioner on? Or has its usage coincided with her increased water consumption?
What colour is her urine?

Last edited:
From personal experience, I would take her to the vet as soon as you can, to check her kidneys are alright, especially given that she had e.cuniculi. It may just be down to the warmer weather or increased hay consumption and I sincerely hope it is, but it would be better to be safe than sorry.

However I am by no means as experienced a bunny owner as many of the people on here so I shall let them advise you further.

When she was drinking less, was your air conditioner on? Or has its usage coincided with her increased water consumption?
What colour is her urine?

My air conditioner has been on constantly, but this problem is in the last week or so and I have had my air conditioner in since mid-May. However, where I am living it has gotten about 10 degrees hotter recently, in the high 80's to 90's. She shouldn't be affected by it though because the air is on right? I do not know the true color of her urine because of the bedding and litter but her soiled litter looks the same color as it has always been.

Excessive drinking can be from a number of things, a few being a UTI (urinary tract infection), dental problems, kidney problems or merely just down to the weather.

I would keep an eye on him, and if you feel concerned get him checked out by a rabbit savvy vet x

Excessive drinking can be from a number of things, a few being a UTI (urinary tract infection), dental problems, kidney problems or merely just down to the weather.

I would keep an eye on him, and if you feel concerned get him checked out by a rabbit savvy vet x

Thank you! I am going to try to get him into a vet tomorrow.

Back