• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis - back from vets

Our family rabbit Floppy went to vets this morning and i really wasn't expecting to see him again this afternoon as he was cold and very floppy and lethargic. They have had him on a drip all day and given metacam, ranitidine and emeprid.

He seems a bit better now, has helped himself to water from the bowl and cleaned his face but his tummy is still extremely swollen feeling, is this normal? I thought it would have gone down a bit with the meds? He hasn't done any poo's and wouldnt take much critical care from the syringe (though the vets said he has been eating 20ml then 5ml alternately each hour)

Also, his bunny friend is out in the hutch/run combo and he is inside to stay warm, I am worried about the bond but don't want Tulip inside as she gets aggressive with us and kept trying to hump him! (they are both neutered) if he is a bit better tomorrow would putting him in outside hutch for a while be enough to keep the bond going?

I am sorry Floppy is unwell. It is very worrying that the Vet has sent him home despite him having a swollen stomach and no fecal output. What did the Vet do to try to make sure that Floppy does not have a full obstruction in his GI tract ?

I would not worry about the bond issue for now, it sounds as though Floppy is still very unwell and he wont be able to cope with being humped by your other Rabbit.

He was sent home as there is no one at the vets overnight but is going back in first thing to be checked over again. I am not sure what vet did to check for total blockage, what should have been done?

He was sent home as there is no one at the vets overnight but is going back in first thing to be checked over again. I am not sure what vet did to check for total blockage, what should have been done?

As your Rabbit sounds to be bloated and has apparently had no fecal output all day then I would expect the Vet to have taken an abdominal Xray and to have tested Floppy's blood glucose level. A high blood glucose level would be one indicator of an intestinal obstruction.

Is Floppy bright within himself at the moment, has he shown any interest in food at all ? Were you given any additional medication to administer overnight ?

I don't know for sure if he has poo'd during the day or not as i wasn't told, but he definitely hasn't since he came home 4 hrs ago. Maybe he did while at vets and that is why nothing further was done.

He seems brighter, and has sniffed at the parsley and grated carrot but then turns away again.

No extra meds given. I'm now wondering if he should have been given more pain meds at least, how long do they last for?

I don't know for sure if he has poo'd during the day or not as i wasn't told, but he definitely hasn't since he came home 4 hrs ago. Maybe he did while at vets and that is why nothing further was done.

He seems brighter, and has sniffed at the parsley and grated carrot but then turns away again.

No extra meds given. I'm now wondering if he should have been given more pain meds at least, how long do they last for?

It depends on what analgesia he has had and at what time. Metacam's analgesic properties seem to last for 12-18 hours. Other types of analgesia, eg Vetergesic, are only of benefit for about 4-6 hours.

Sadly, despite lots of tummy rubs and the swelling seeming to ease, Floppy died last night.

He's on the bridge now with his other bunny friends, Squeak and Snowdrop, who went before him.

I'm so very sorry that Floppy has gone to the Bridge. :(
Sending (((((((hugs)))))) to you.
Sweet dreams, Floppy. xxxx

Back