• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

clipped nail too close

lilsouris

Warren Scout
Hi can anyone help. This was the first time ive tried to clip my rabbits nails (I normally let the vet do it) and I feel awful because I cut one nail too close and made her bleed. :( :( :( I feel so guilty. I think its stopped bleeding but have a done major damage or will she be ok? I only took a little off but with her nails being so dark I obviously hit the wick. She alternating being running around being normal to laying on her side breathing quick looking scared. OH thimks weve just stressed her out
Is it usually a bad thing. Please help I feel so guilty :(

Don't worry. Everyone will do this at sone point. It's hard to cut a wiggly bunny's nails. If it's stopped bleeding then I'm sure it will be fine...and she'll forgive you so long as she gets plenty of snuggles ;)

I think we've all been guilty of this so don't worry, your rabbit will be ok. If it happens again I think cornflour is good to dab on as it stops the bleeding. You can shine a torch underneath your rabbit's foot - it makes it easier to see where the quick is.

As someone who used to have 3 black clawed buns and still has 2 black clawed buns I can say I've done that more times than I'd like to admit! She'll be fine.:)
Shining a torch underneath is an excellent tip, also you can try the half squeeze where you squeeze a little before cutting. If the bun doesn't flinch you're probably fine, if it does you should try a bit further down.

Thanks everyone that replied I feel a little better now. Thanks for the reassurance I just feel so guilty I eas just tryinv to ssve her the stress oc the vets :( the torch Idea is genius if I ever get the courage to try again!

Buffys just taken a treat but she really isnt my friend atm. Think ive got alot of making up to do xx

You're much braver than me! My vet did this to one of my buns despite having cut loads before. Just one of those things. I guarantee you're way more bothered than the bunny is. My Maddie broke one of her claws a few weeks ago and carried on hopping round the living room while bleeding everywhere and was most put out by being captured so I could stop the bleeding! :lol:

I trim my rabbits nails myself and have accidently caught the qwik a couple of times, so I got some of those Blood Stop Cotton Swabs which has antiseptic liquid inside.

Anyway I was trimming Hershel nails on sunday night and caught the qwik :cry:, and the liquid inside the swabs had dried up :censored:.

His nail was bleeding for ages, direct pressure wasn't working and I was starting to get worried, so I searched on here. It was suggested to dab cornflour onto the nail and then blow the excessive off and to repeat it a couple of times. This worked a treat and I was able to put him back in his hutch. I have checked it since and it is doing okay.

You can also get a styptic powder/pencil containing astringents which help seal bleeding wounds.

As someone who used to have 3 black clawed buns and still has 2 black clawed buns I can say I've done that more times than I'd like to admit!

Me too :oops:

I always keep a kwik stop on hand now.

I don't do my girls as they wriggle too much so took mine to the vet. The nurse did it (it's far cheaper!!) and she was shaking so much I'm surprised she didn't make them bleed. So everyone gets nervous about it and sadly even the professionals get it wrong on occasion (luckily the nurse didn't on this occasion); such is life.

Back