• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice cat poo

idolstar

Young Bun
Am not sure where to post this but seeing as it is about rabbit health thought i would ask

Can cat poo be harmful to rabbits?

I know that people (including me) avoid picking grass, etc from areas where any animal has wee'd or poo'd so I would imagine that is could be. Not sure how. Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon.

I believe with cat poo there's a risk of toxoplasmosis so I would definitely avoid having a rabbit anywhere near cat poo. If cats poo in our garden we always put a cage over the ground it for a while so the rabbits can't eat the grass.
It's the same reason pregnant women shouldn't clean out cat litter boxes and children should be kept well away from it.

There is a risk of toxoplasmosis from cat poop, but apparently there is pretty much just as great a risk from soil as from cats! I wouldn't see a problem with pregnant women and kids gardening as long as good hygiene is followed, so think the same about litter boxes!

As for poop and buns, I often think about that. I would certainly avoid the area for a week or so if possible. But it's dog poop that worries me, we recently moved and got a dog, we were planning on having the buns out in the summer in the run (inside buns) but now I'm not so sure, the dog has pooped and pee'd over every inch of our not massive garden. Obviously I clean the poop up but still :? I know lots of people on here have dogs and outside buns with movable runs and I'm just not sure what they do!

Thank you

I thought i would ask, Am having issue with the lady next door for about 3 years now:evil: and i have spoken to the woman about this but as she has said cats will be cats no matter what her cat has enters house if i have the back door open to let some air in with her cat doing its nasty in my yard i find other cats come in as well:evil:

It's bug me more then what it really should my rabbits are indoor rabbits but i do like to let them have a good old run in the fresh air when its nice and warm.

I have had 3 of my rabbits pass away to e. cuniculi and i don't know much about e. cuniculi but what i do know is that the 3 that passed away where the 3 i let out in the yard the most. So that's really why i asked

my vet said stress could bring on e. cuniculi but i kept my rabbit stress free

am not sure but i think i will keep link & zelda away from the yard just to be safe

There is a risk of toxoplasmosis from cat poop, but apparently there is pretty much just as great a risk from soil as from cats! I wouldn't see a problem with pregnant women and kids gardening as long as good hygiene is followed, so think the same about litter boxes!

As for poop and buns, I often think about that. I would certainly avoid the area for a week or so if possible. But it's dog poop that worries me, we recently moved and got a dog, we were planning on having the buns out in the summer in the run (inside buns) but now I'm not so sure, the dog has pooped and pee'd over every inch of our not massive garden. Obviously I clean the poop up but still :? I know lots of people on here have dogs and outside buns with movable runs and I'm just not sure what they do!

I have bunnies, piggies and dogs all sharing the same lawn. All I do is keep a full watering can permanently by the back door and I watch the dogs when they're outside. I know their habits so it's pretty easy to know when they're likely to pee or poo. I just wash down the lawn where they pee and pick up/wash down where they poo. In 20 or so years, I've never had a problem with any of the small furries doing this and my lawn is pretty small. It may not be perfect or desirable but it's the best I can do with the situation I find myself in.

ETA - forgot to add that as the dogs eat a raw, meaty bone diet, their poops are like solid, chalky cannon-balls and therefore there is no residue when picked up.

Last edited:
Back