• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur for bereaved bunny

annabolic

Young Bun
I've just started treated my rabbit Dot with Panacur. I got her from the RSPCA in December 2013, along with another bunny Jim, and both had apparently been given a 9-day course of Panacur in October 2013. My beautiful boy Jim passed away two days ago and I think it might have been from EC - I think the vet misdiagnosed him and treated him for something else entirely, but he died two days later. (I've already found a more rabbit-savvy vet to change to but I feel terrible that I let Jim down by not making sure I had a rabbit-savvy vet in the first place :cry: ) I'm devastated at losing my baby Jim and miss him terribly. Crying as I write this :cry:

But I'm also worried about Dot. I hadn't treated them for EC because the RSPCA said they'd had it in October and I was going to do it 6 months later (i.e. April) but since Jim died I thought I should treat Dot just in case. She's not showing any symptoms but I want to prevent it happening hence thinking 9 days instead of 28. What would other bunny-owners do in this situation? My instinct (as a risk-averse new rabbit owner) is to treat her according to the Panacur packaging i.e. 9-day course every 3-4 months as long as she doesn't show symptoms - it does say 6 months is OK and I've read other threads that have said that but given what happened with Jim I just don't want to take that risk. She wouldn't take the paste directly from the syringe so I'm giving it to her on food and it's worked OK. I'm also planning to get her a new friend soon for company and when that happens I'll make sure I give the new bun a course too.

It might be worth giving your vet a ring/taking her in for a check if you're worried about her, even if it's just a general check up and she's fine a rabbit savvy vet would be really good to speak to. If she's not showing any signs of being ill I'm sure she'll be ok - but maybe just keep a close eye on her and ask the vet about specifics to look out for and panacur doses/dosing intervals if you do notice anything :)
Really sorry about Jim :(

It was odd, Jim didn't really have head tilt which is the one thing I knew EC had a symptom, but his ears went a bit lopsided even though his head was straight and upright. He had weepy eyes, was very lethargic and by the end he'd started to lose his balance and wasn't drinking much or eating hay. He was always excited about his pellets and veg though so I wasn't too worried until he started to lose his balance, but the follow-up vet appt was the next day so I was going to bring it up then. This all happened between Tuesday and Thursday night this week. I feel so awful that I didn't go to the emergency vet or insist to my vet that the lopsided ears might be a symptom of something. I feel like I let him down.

I think I might ring up the new vet on Monday (one I found recommended on this forum). I need to register Dot with them anyway. I had been planning to wait until I got a new bunny but if I guess I shouldn't take any chances now. I couldn't bear it if the same thing happened to her. I can ask them for advice while I'm at it.

Please don't blame yourself, it's awful how quickly things can happen when a bunny is sick. You did what you thought was right, and trusted the advice of a vet, as anyone would.
I'm so sorry you lost Jim, and so soon. I hope you, and Dot, are looking after each other x

Back