• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-dental care?

Tilia

Warren Scout
Taking the buns to the vets tomorrow morning - I suspect a dental may be looming for Elsa who had spurs removed when she was spayed 2.5 years ago, and has recently become slower at eating pellets :(

A few questions as it would all be a bit new to me:
  • I gather from previous threads she'd need to be kept indoors post-op, with pain meds, recovery & tempting food on hand? Is this until I'm happy she's back to normal? (Presumably keep Elmo in too as they are bonded)
  • Do I need to keep the room cooler as they are outdoor bunnies (insulated shed)?
  • What's the best thing to keep them in? Should I buy a dog crate/hutch? (our house is tiny so no spare rooms or much in the way of floorspace..!).
  • If they both need dentals, should I get them done at the same time so they both recover together? Or is that twice as much to worry about?!

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you! :)

Yes, keep indoors if possible but not too hot.
Pain meds to come home with
Any usual foods, I also always have in some critical care fine blend as it is easier to syringe. I also buy lots of herbs, carrot tops, kale - anything to tempt, also some bramble if you can find some.
If Elmo does not annoy her too much then keep him with her.
I used to keep Homer in a puppy pen that you can then fold down but a dog crate would be OK.
If they both need dentals - hm as you say it would depend on how good they are at recovering as it could be twice the worry but then it would be done and you have them in the same conditions for recovery - your choice!

Good luck.

My bunny is a regular for dentals, if it's really cold outside and depending on how dozy she is from the anaesthetic I corner off part of my room any lay paper and some hay down. I then leave her a few hours and tend to pop her back outside.
She's okay with this and prefers to be in her own hutch, but it's not everyone's choice.
She had her dental yesterday and I picked her up 3 hours after the op and kept her out for half an hour just stroking her then put her in her hutch at about 6pm. I then kept check and put a heat pad in her bed and she's fine :)

She's very much used to regular dentals though. If it really is to cold don't put them outside as they can't regulate body temperature properly after anaesthetic, depends how hardy your bunnies are. Candy'a tough as old boots I found her hanging from a foxes mouth when she was a baby :)

Xx

Thanks both :) Elsa is indeed booked in for a dental this week - am a bit nervous! She always sulks after a vet trip (refuses to accept a fenugreek crunchie if I'm offering it or watching her, eats it once I've gone - thank goodness for the bunny cam!) so it could be tricky getting her to eat :/

Give her a day to recover and just make sure eats and drinks something she may well be tender they have such tiny mouths. Keep up with pain meds the vet should give you some. I'm always given loxicom or metacam along with something I can't remember!!
Sometimes I pop a bit if wArn water in done pellets and she will eat that after her dental.
Good luck :) xx

Back