• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting new indoor cage

Fawncasca

New Kit
Casca is a one year old spayed mini lop bunny. She lives in this cage: http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp?cage=80

Lately due to weather I haven't been able to let her play in the garden. She's always slept indoors, and when it's raining she gets snuffles because she's used to the warmth of my bedroom.

I'm thinking of buying this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Cage-Ru...e=UTF8&qid=1390604377&sr=1-1&keywords=Grendle

I'll buy either 2 or 3 of it, then build a 2 storey cage that's high, or maybe a 3 storey cage. Casca is potty trained but sometimes urine leaks over the litter tray. The plastic surface makes it easy to clean with vinegar. I might want the flooring plastic tiles but if I use towels or carpet it encourages Casca to run.

I'm thinking of having some panels stick out like a stairway on the top part of the cage to act as a place to hop around.

I don't have a lot of room in my bedroom. Should I buy 2 or 3 of this pet den? Is there any place cheaper I can buy this from? Hoping to get everything done next week and upload some pics of my customised cage! Could use some suggestions on what to include. Right now the cage I have is plastic so Casca doesn't run in it. She only hops up and down the plastic houses, and there's no room for tunnels etc inside it.

I have the exact same cage for my buns: it's only one storey so it's quite long using all the panels, and they have a mini outdoor hutch inside that they can sit on top of. It's worked out really well as a budget indoor cage.

For the floor I bought MDF from B&Q (not bunny digestion safe), put lino tiles over the whole lot (you can buy in self-adhesive packs from Poundland) then edged it all the away around with kiln treated pine slats (bunny digestion safe) so that the MDF was completely inaccessible. The lino is just as easy to clean as plastic. Then I originally had car floor mats (again, Poundland), which have plastic backing and are really easy to get any bunny by-products out of, so that they didn't have to walk on the lino, but Spice started eating them so they had to go. They don't seem to mind the lino too much, and they have their little hutch thing and the carpeted lounge floor as well.

I'd say you'd probably be alright with two sets of grids rather than three: I only have one set plus some other bits cannibalised from my old bunny cage, but it depends how long and high you want to go.

I have about 30cm I can go wider than the Essegi 2 Storey Corner Cage, and maybe 5-10cm more depth. In addition to making it more roomy, I need to consider the ease of cleaning. I have a handheld dyson vacuum cleaner which works wonders on Essegi 2 Storey Corner Cage's plastic flooring. The elevated sides prevents urine spilling out so I might need to block the sides near the litter tray. Is your one storey cage high enough for the bunny to jump?

It's one storey in that it only has one floor, so it's two panels high. Java's too lazy to jump and Spice has never tried, but where their hutch means they're higher up I have panels across the top anyway. I think an average sized bunny could get over, but it's probably high enough to deter them unless they're really set on getting out.

As I said, lino is pretty easy to clean. The Grendle cage doesn't come with any kind of floor: obviously grid squares aren't suitable because they'll hurt bunny feet, so you'll have to buy something. Some people use corrugated plastic instead of wood+lino but I found it a bit too pricey. As as far as things spilling out, as I said, I edged mine with wood all the way around so it has a lip keeping hay and stray bits in. Again, you could use plastic if you prefer but it'll cost you more.

I bought 2 sets from Wayfair http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safco-Wire-Cubes-in-Black-5279BL-SAF1061.html althought I wish I'd bought 3 sets now! I've attached them to my ferplast 140 cage to give a space of 7 cubes wide (approx 252cm) by 4 cubes (approx 144cm) and I've built upwards with 2 cubes in one corner. I'd like to build upward with more. If someone can tell me how to insert a photo I can add one? As I've kept the cage in, I've kept the litter tray in there and so far Coco has only wee'd in the cage - although it's early days yet.

Last edited:
It's one storey in that it only has one floor, so it's two panels high. Java's too lazy to jump and Spice has never tried, but where their hutch means they're higher up I have panels across the top anyway. I think an average sized bunny could get over, but it's probably high enough to deter them unless they're really set on getting out.

As I said, lino is pretty easy to clean. The Grendle cage doesn't come with any kind of floor: obviously grid squares aren't suitable because they'll hurt bunny feet, so you'll have to buy something. Some people use corrugated plastic instead of wood+lino but I found it a bit too pricey. As as far as things spilling out, as I said, I edged mine with wood all the way around so it has a lip keeping hay and stray bits in. Again, you could use plastic if you prefer but it'll cost you more.

The cage just arrived. One panel is larger than I expected. 1 and a 3rd panel is already the height of the bottom storey of my existing cage, and 3 panels is taller than my 2 storey cage! Seems like buying 2 of this product is enough. The holes in the panels are quite large. Looks like I'll be able to make a huge cage.

Maybe 2 panels for the bottom floor, 1 panel in the middle to run around, and 3 panels for the top storey so it's high enough to place platforms to jump on. I'll leave this till Sunday afternoon. Casca will be wanting to sleep then and I'll put her in the Cabrio carrier while I dismantle my cage and build the new one.

I think I'll stick with carpet as a base layer for the bottom and top. Cardboard for the middle layer. Was going to get a vet bed but can't be bothered lol. I already have a small vet bed and it's starting to break down after some chewing.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the end result. Glad you are happy :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing the end result. Glad you are happy :)

No I am not happy. I am furious after checking each panel carefully. Some frames are bent, some cracked, but worst of all it looks like some were broken and then soldered back together poorly. There is a sharp edge in the side of almost every panel!!! I pricked my finger touching it too! I can't believe the seller sent me something that's so not fit for purpose. Casca will be dead within hours if I dare put her in a cage built from these panels. Going to make a complaint and see if I can get a replacement.

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a disappointment for you. I would definitely be demanding a refund or replacement and I hope they are apologetic.

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a disappointment for you. I would definitely be demanding a refund or replacement and I hope they are apologetic.

Their reply was: It was brand new in sealed boxes so how do you say it was used, if you
are not happy please return for a refund.

I said if they sent me a replacement and sent someone to collect the defective product I'd be happy with that, but they're refusing to admit there's something wrong with their product, and trying to not refund me. I pointed out I am not a car owner and the product is too heavy (I bought 3 of these pet cage panels) for me to transport on foot to the post office (30 minutes walk without luggage). They just gave that return the product and we'll refund you, knowing I can only return it if they collect it or at least pay me for postage to arrange a courier to collect it.

Going to try an Amazon chargeback and see how that goes.

I don't know how to upload photo attachments here but I do have photos, and even able to take video recordings to prove the cage panels are damaged. These damages are made during manufacturing. It can't be caused by me or during delivery.

Do not buy from Grendle Enterprise!

(Update) Again they refuse to apologise. After sending them further dozen of photographs showing sharp bits protruding from the sides of a number of panels where it's suppose to be smooth, they finally say "It is brand new, it was in a sealed box. We have sold thousands of them
there might be an odd sheet which is not finished properly but certainly
not lots. Like i have said by all means return, if you open an a-z claim
you will be asked to return". I received 78 panels from them and only 8 are in decent condition (crack or lump) and 1 in perfect condition. The rest are simply not safe to use. That's their idea of 'might be an odd sheet which is not finished properly'. No apology, no offer of a replacement, no offer of an advance payment for postage or any arrangement to collect the defective products. They just place the burden on me to return it for a refund.

Last edited:
Their reply was: It was brand new in sealed boxes so how do you say it was used, if you
are not happy please return for a refund.

I said if they sent me a replacement and sent someone to collect the defective product I'd be happy with that, but they're refusing to admit there's something wrong with their product, and trying to not refund me. I pointed out I am not a car owner and the product is too heavy (I bought 3 of these pet cage panels) for me to transport on foot to the post office (30 minutes walk without luggage). They just gave that return the product and we'll refund you, knowing I can only return it if they collect it or at least pay me for postage to arrange a courier to collect it.

Going to try an Amazon chargeback and see how that goes.

I don't know how to upload photo attachments here but I do have photos, and even able to take video recordings to prove the cage panels are damaged. These damages are made during manufacturing. It can't be caused by me or during delivery.

Do not buy from Grendle Enterprise!

(Update) Again they refuse to apologise. After sending them further dozen of photographs showing sharp bits protruding from the sides of a number of panels where it's suppose to be smooth, they finally say "It is brand new, it was in a sealed box. We have sold thousands of them
there might be an odd sheet which is not finished properly but certainly
not lots. Like i have said by all means return, if you open an a-z claim
you will be asked to return". I received 78 panels from them and only 8 are in decent condition (crack or lump) and 1 in perfect condition. The rest are simply not safe to use. That's their idea of 'might be an odd sheet which is not finished properly'. No apology, no offer of a replacement, no offer of an advance payment for postage or any arrangement to collect the defective products. They just place the burden on me to return it for a refund.

I'm only after seeing this update now, that sounds like such a pain in the ass and talk about terrible customer service. I would be livid if I were you. I defo wouldn't let it go though , you need to get that money back. You have been ripped off !x

I would send it back get help to do it it's better to pay for sending it back and get money back only losing the sending it back money than to lose all of it as it will be your bun who suffer last and not get a larger home :/

Back