• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wont stop kicking...

Nkwilkins

Young Bun
My male rabbit, Mason, is a nightmare to put down after I have been holding him. As soon as he see's hes going down or back in his hutch he kicks with his back feet pushing himself off me often scramming me. The amount of times he has missed the entrance to the hutch and headbutted the top bit of wood is mad...
anyway to get him to stop?

Not really, most rabbits don't like being picked up. They're prey animals so it's just instinct to fight being lifted about. Only way to get him to stop is to make sure he can get in/out of his step up on his own really!

Try putting him down bum first so he can't see the floor, then he won't know where the floor is and won't kick :)

Don't pick him up. As Steph said, most rabbits hate being picked up. I can pick my boy, Fiver, up but my other two freak out when picked up. I simply don't pick them up unless I really need to.

Can you not just leave his hutch open and encourage him to hop into his hutch? Does he have a run attached to his hutch? If so, then you could just put a carrier in and encourage him to hop in by himself, then you can lift the carrier out and in. :)

It's a natural reaction for them to want to scramble away as soon as they see an opportunity. Alfie's used to being handled (I wouldn't say he enjoys it but he tolerates it with some disgust :lol:) but he still tries to make a leap for it when he's being put down if I'm not careful.

If your bunny doesn't seem too stressed with the actual picking up/handling part then I would just try to work on the putting down part as I think it's useful to get them used to being handled if possible; it makes it so much easier if they're poorly and need medicating or syringe feeding for example. Some bunnies don't enjoy the whole experience at all and that's when I'd try to find other ways of getting them from a to b to avoid stressing them too much.

Is he facing away from you when you put him down? If so, you might find he's less likely to struggle if you can hold him towards you as you place him down so that he can't see the ground/hutch entrance and try to make a leap for freedom. Or perhaps try getting closer to the ground/hutch door before you start to adjust your hold.

It's a natural reaction for them to want to scramble away as soon as they see an opportunity. Alfie's used to being handled (I wouldn't say he enjoys it but he tolerates it with some disgust :lol:) but he still tries to make a leap for it when he's being put down if I'm not careful.

If your bunny doesn't seem too stressed with the actual picking up/handling part then I would just try to work on the putting down part as I think it's useful to get them used to being handled if possible; it makes it so much easier if they're poorly and need medicating or syringe feeding for example. Some bunnies don't enjoy the whole experience at all and that's when I'd try to find other ways of getting them from a to b to avoid stressing them too much.

Is he facing away from you when you put him down? If so, you might find he's less likely to struggle if you can hold him towards you as you place him down so that he can't see the ground/hutch entrance and try to make a leap for freedom. Or perhaps try getting closer to the ground/hutch door before you start to adjust your hold.

Hes absolutely fine being handled and picked up, he cuddles up on my chest and sometimes licks me if we're sitting down. Soon as I go close to him he always comes up to me but its just putting him down, iv started crouching down holding him properly and putting him on my lap so he can jump into the hutch himself but sometimes he kicks before I can do that..

Back