• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie dental absess update

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Had my rosetta back at the vets a week ago for a conscious check up tocheck her absessed tooth and how things were going with the depocillin injections. I am sooooo pleased to report that there was no puss visable at all and the vet was very pleased how things r going. Oh and it was the upper tooth that was extracted. Turns out it is growing back nicely too so I think that means she will still have an opposite tooth to grind on. So the injections have been reduced to twice a week now and she is hoovering food like no tomorrow- shes in great form. She has to go back in 6 weeks time to monitor things. Looking good for my brave girl !

Oh that's great news. I've been following Rosie's progress but with a toddler and one thing and another I've not had time to post. So glad she is on the mend :D

Rosie was just back at the vets last night for her 6 week check up. More great news there is still no pus jawline remaims smooth (always was so absess appears not to have penetrated the jaw bone) and she is now down to one depocillian injection per week! She goes back in another 6 weeks with the hope of stopping the injections. She has also put on weight - up to 2.2kg from 1.9kg. Soooo happy.

Jane can the injections be stopped? ? Or do u think she needs to be on a weekly one for life if the weekly one keeps it at bay ?? The vet said if she did stop them she would obviously review rosie on a 6 weekly basis to see if it had returned. Can an absess be cured if caught early enough? ?

Rosie was just back at the vets last night for her 6 week check up. More great news there is still no pus jawline remaims smooth (always was so absess appears not to have penetrated the jaw bone) and she is now down to one depocillian injection per week! She goes back in another 6 weeks with the hope of stopping the injections. She has also put on weight - up to 2.2kg from 1.9kg. Soooo happy.

Jane can the injections be stopped? ? Or do u think she needs to be on a weekly one for life if the weekly one keeps it at bay ?? The vet said if she did stop them she would obviously review rosie on a 6 weekly basis to see if it had returned. Can an absess be cured if caught early enough? ?

It may be possible to stop the Depocillin. Whilst jaw abscesses are often a nightmare to treat a 'cure' is possible. I am so pleased that Rosie is doing well xx

Thanks for ur well wishes Jane. I would just be afraid to stop the injections after she has come so far. I wonder would it do her any harm to stay on them weekly just in case? How do u know if it's cured?

Back