• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping advice please

KatP

Alpha Buck
My bunnies had their nails clipped when I collected them from the breeder about 3 months ago. They live outside in a hutch with a built in run underneath, how often should they need their nails trimming? I do a health check once a week and this week noticed their nails seemed to be starting to get a bit long. Should I book them into the vets and any ideas how much this would cost? Also any comments on how easy it is to do yourself as both bunnies are very happy to lie in my arms when I do their health check I wonder if this maybe less stressful for them than a visit to the vets but have been told it is very easy to cut too far down the nail and cause injury if doing it yourself? Any advice greatly received.

What colour are their nails? As a newbie it's much easier starting on rabbits where you can see the quick so you don't cut too far down. Even after having rabbits for most of my life I still get nervy about buns with dark nails! My vet runs a nurses clinic that does free nail clipping but I guess some places may charge :)

You could book them in with the Vet for the first nail trim so that the Vet can show you exactly how to do it. Also, if your Rabbits have not yet been vaccinated that could be done too. If you are not breeding from them you could also discuss arranging to have them neutered :)

Thanks for the advice. I checked their nails and I would describe them as mostly a lightish brown colour but I think I will book them into the vets and ask them to show me what to do.

if you do decide to cut your buns nails at home make sure you have some Styptic powder at hand incase you cut the quick-or ordinary flour is supposed to work,i use cat nail clippers and Styptic powder for my bunnies,but i haven't cut a quick yet:lol: luckily my bunnies don't have dark nails so you can see the quick!

Back