• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to clip a long-haired constantly moving bunny's nails??

Had our girls for almost 2 months now. They're double-maned lionheads and their nails were clipped last month when they were neutered. This morning I tried it myself. I went by the video "Howcast: How to Trim Your Rabbit's Nails" - but their rabbit is the most well-behaved...

Managed to do all of one bunny's nails, although it was so difficult to get to the nails due to the amount of hair (used some water but that hardly helped). Same issue with the other bunny, but in addition to that, she just wouldn't stay still (the video says you shouldn't restrain them too much...). I managed 9/10 nails in the front, couldn't get to one dew claw and gave up on the back feet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do

to see/reach the nails better through their hair

to clip the dew claw, which seemed to be the most awkward to get to

to keep them still?

Thank you!!

Sorry your post didn't get answered. I used to take my bunny to the vet and get a nurse to do it, but during lockdown I did it myself. I placed her on the floor between my knees so her head was facing out, and managed to lift one paw at a time and do it that way, a but a bit of a killer on my back ! I'm sure others will be able to offer their method though.

I never really have to do rabbit nails, but I do cats and guinea pigs regularly, and they are all very fluffy beasts - same applies though.....

Just do one nail at a time, or whatever they will sit still for. If you work in the same order all the time, you can work out which still need doing. If you are unsure of the amount to clip, always do less rather than more - bleeding nails are messy. Front ones tend to need doing more than back ones. It will get easier with practice and you can work up to the full set in one go eventually.

I always extend the toe out from the fur for anything that needs clipping. If you need a light, use the torch on your phone on your lap and put the claw on top so you can see the quick. I do them sat on my lap, facing head out. They can also be tucked under one arm. Use that to extend the foot and one toe at a time, then clip with the other hand.

Find some nail clippers that work for you. I use either the little scissor ones with a dip in for the nail, or human nail clippers.

Some tactics I’ve used in the past are to have someone else hold bunny, an unfamiliar room can help. I’ve used a mesh bag like the ones nuts come in to put the paw through, it helps hold the hair back. Would not work with a skittish bunny though!

I hold the bunny and push back the fur from her claws and my husband clips her nails.

Back