• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy just gave me a heart attack!

Ailstar

Mama Doe
So I put the buns to bed, I always give them an eggcupful of pellets at tea time so while they were eating those I scatter some forage around their hutch downstairs, dandelion, natures salad etc from the naturals range. They obviously heard me doing this and came down to investigate/eat (the greedy so and so's!) I then shut the door and left them to forage while I sorted their water when
I heard the most awful sound, it was like a gagging sound or the noise a person would make if they had something stuck in their throat. My heart stopped! I only had time to look down and realise it was Daisy before the noise stopped and she went straight back to eating. But honestly I never want to hear that noise again. I can only assume she got a little bit of something stuck in her throat? And luckily it was small enough she didn't actually choke and managed to clear it herself. But it was a horrible 10 seconds of panic!

I can imagine how heart stopping that would have been!! I am terrified of my buns choking now after reading about the pellets on here and spend ages breaking them up into smaller pieces. It really is one of my worst fears. Hope you are ok now xxx

Thanks I'm ok, it could have been a lot worse. I think the worst thing was realising if she was choking there wasn't a lot I was going to be able to do to help her. It's not like you have a lot of time in these situations! I was so relieved that she seemed fine again so quickly. Clearly buns really do think with their stomachs!!

OMG what a shock that must have been. So glad it stopped of its own accord. There is a sticky about chocking which may be good to read if only to help you feel less helpless.

OMG what a shock that must have been. So glad it stopped of its own accord. There is a sticky about chocking which may be good to read if only to help you feel less helpless.

I did actually read that last night, but honestly I think I would just panic! I'm not good in those sort of situations! She was absolutely fine this morning though, nibbling some hay when I went to give them their breakfast :)

Back