• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

Our 3.5 months old Mini Lop Clover started sneezing 2 weeks ago. It all started with a sneezing attack that went one for about 5 min and then she would sneeze now and then. At the beginning, there was no discharge, her front paws were not wet and we thought that maybe she had gotten something (possibly a straw of hay) stuck up her nose. She didn't sneeze for another five days until last weekend. We then saw a little bit of clear discharge from her nose and her paws felt a little bit wet. We took her to the vet last Sunday (it was not our regular vet but a rabbit savvy vet). Vet examined her properly, she had normal temperature, vet could not hear anything in her lungs or from her nasal tract etc so she did a flush. A bit of dirt came out and vet put her on TMS Suspension (trimethoprim sulfa) 30 mL, 1.2cc by mouth twice a day for 10 days. Clover just sneezed once or twice during the last week after the vet visit but this morning she was sneezing again. There is a bit of clear discharge again and her paws are a bit wet. She hasn't been sneezing for a few hours now and she is her happy self, eating, pooping, binkying and doing all the naughty things babies do.

We have had a change in weather during the last week (we live in New York City). It went from cooler to summer temperatures and then today it is cooler again. We humans are noticing the change so I guess rabbits are dealing with the same issues.

Any idea what this could be? We have a vet appointment for her tomorrow with our regular vet but I just wanted to hear your ideas on this!

Just to mention, Clover is a house bun and only goes outside for supervised playtime on our balcony. We have 3 other house buns, but everyone lives separately (awaiting spay and bonding...).

Thank you!

Sandra and Clover, Munchkin, Hudson and Timothy

I've also heard of some buns having allergies to a particular litter being used.

Thank you Jack's-Jane and Jbun!

When I think about it, Clover has mainly been sneezing during the weekends which is when we clean... So there might be something that she is allergic to. We only vacuum her area (we do not use any cleaning products) and the litter we use is Oxbow Eco Straw (http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1604) and we have been using the same litter since we got her. But we are of course using cleaning products in the rest of the house which will be in the air. I will bring this up with the vet tomorrow!

Thank you!

Sandra

Back