• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecals or diarrhoea? UD pics

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

How do I tell the difference? Or is waiting to see if she produces normal fecal pellets the only thing I can do?

She's had excess cecals before but they haven't looked like this. :(

Last edited:
Can you post a photo? :wave:

To be honest, because Rose is only 3 months old, and if you think it MAY be diarrhoea, I'd defnitely look at at least ringing the vets, because diarrhoea is very serious in young buns (not trying to panic you!) and if it diarrhoea then she'd need to see a vet ASAP.

A photo would help though! :wave:

Can you post a photo? :wave:

To be honest, because Rose is only 3 months old I'd defnitely look at at least ringing the vets, because diarrhoea is very serious in young buns (not trying to panic you!), and if it diarrhoea then she'd need to see a vet ASAP.

A photo would help though! :wave:

I've tried to get a photo but the lighting is useless so nothing is really clear.

Already in a panic! She'll be off to the vets if it's diarrhoea, I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting to cecals! She's had them before though and they've not looked like this.

I've tried to get a photo but the lighting is useless so nothing is really clear.

Already in a panic! She'll be off to the vets if it's diarrhoea, I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting to cecals! She's had them before though and they've not looked like this.

Does flash help? :wave:

ETA: Just seen your update, hm. Could she have eaten anything that might have caused diarrhoea? :wave:

Does flash help? :wave:

How does Rose seem in herself? Does she seem 'OK' in temperament etc, not showing any signs of discomfort? :wave:

She seems fine in herself.. Flash was on.. I'll post the photo I managed to get once I find my phone (misplaced it in my panic :oops:)

She seems fine in herself.. Flash was on.. I'll post the photo I managed to get once I find my phone (misplaced it in my panic :oops:)

Just saw your update, edited my post but you were too quick :lol:

Don't panic, panicing achieves nothing in situations like this. Staying calm is the best way, that way you're not affecting Rose as well as if she's inside she'll probably be picking up on your nerves! :)

Just saw your update, edited my post but you were too quick :lol:

Don't panic, panicing achieves nothing in situations like this. Staying calm is the best way, that way you're not affecting Rose as well as if she's inside she'll probably be picking up on your nerves! :)

She stole some of Humphrey's (my other rabbit, they're separated with a divide at the minute in the shed) fibafirst stick which he pushed through to her side accidently. I don't think she got that much at all before I took it off her though. Can't think of anything else really.

Found some normal golden fecal pellets! Less panicked now!

As well as these odd ones.. They all seem to be different (and look smaller than they are in these photos). I wasn't able to photograph the one that I originally thought looked like diarrhoea. It was much more watery than these and a bit darker.

(Sorry it's huge :oops:)

They don't look like either cecals or diarrhoea really, do they?! :? I don't really know what to say, to be honest! They do look quite wet and watery, but I suppose some of that is flash isn't it? And the newpsaper is wet as well, is this bunny wee?

They don't look like either cecals or diarrhoea really, do they?! :? I don't really know what to say, to be honest! They do look quite wet and watery, but I suppose some of that is flash isn't it? And the newpsaper is wet as well, is this bunny wee?

I think that's wee yes.

There was also 15 or so normal golden fecal pellets compared to the couple of odd ones, so I don't think it's cecals or diarrhoea.. But I don't know what it is!

I think that's wee yes.

There was also 15 or so normal golden fecal pellets compared to the couple of odd ones, so I don't think it's cecals or diarrhoea.. But I don't know what it is!

That's good that there is normal poos there as well. it doesn't sound like diarrhea then, does it? hm. Strange!

That's good that there is normal poos there as well. it doesn't sound like diarrhea then, does it? hm. Strange!

Very strange! Plus normal poos are as golden as ever too.
Pictures were delayed as she decided she wanted to play with the tent and cardboard box and not go back in her pen so she's feeling fine too.

If you are in any doubt at all, I would take her to the vet - she's very young and rabbits go downhill extremely quickly.

If you are in any doubt at all, I would take her to the vet - she's very young and rabbits go downhill extremely quickly.

She would have been straight at the vets if I thought it was diarrhoea, don't worry. :thumb:

Everything seems as normal with her today though. :)

My bunny had poo a bit like this after I caught her eating woodlice in the garden, maybe your buns' been nibbling on some bugs? :L

Back