• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Medical Pet Shirt: alternative to an e-collar (recommendation/review)

Hi there,

I mentioned in my introduction thread that I decided to de-lurk because of a great little product I "discovered" when my naughty bunny Charlie decided to bother his surgical site post-neuter.

First, a bit of background on Charlie. He's a 1+ year old (mystery age!) little mixed breed (mystery breed!) dwarf rabbit. We're his third home, he wasn't neutered or vaccinated when we got him, and he's only young. Poor little munchkin. He flew through his neuter op, but post-surgery even though he was on Metacam he experienced some swelling and bruising, and he decided the best thing for this was to lick and chew his neuter site into a scabby mess. Stressed, I did some intense Googling and read every post-neuter post made on every rabbit forum ever (well, sort of) and came to the conclusion that e-collars + rabbits aren't a good mix. Amongst the sites found with my mad Googling, I came across this website, http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/index.php/en/medical-pet-shirts-en/the-medical-pet-shirt-nl but couldn't find any reviews for the product (Medical Pet Shirt) for rabbits. I had some questions. Would the Medical Pet Shirt cover Charlie's surgical site and still allow him to pee and poo even though he is a male rabbit? Would the Medical Pet Shirt stay on? Would Charlie even tolerate the shirt, or would he become depressed and stop eating? I found a site that sells the shirt online in Australia (where I live) and ordered the appropriate size for Charlie's weight. And... it's awesome.

The shirt is mostly cotton with a small percentage of Lycra for stretch. It's easy (with two people) to get on, and he hasn't ripped it off. Most importantly, after carefully adjusting the shirt so it was fitted properly, he couldn't lick or chew his surgical site allowing it to heal (the shirt breathes well because it's mostly cotton), and it's actually saved him from getting a second operation to clean up the mess he made initially. He can poo and pee and eat his caecotropes like a trooper, and the bottom of the shirt doesn't get dirty or wet from caecotropes, poo, and urine (another of my concerns). He can groom, hop around, drink water, and he isn't depressed about having to wear a little shirt day in day out until his surgical site heals completely. I think in many cases the Medical Pet Shirt would work much better than bandages and e-collars to keep bunny mouths away from healing wounds and stitches, and still allows rabbits to do all sorts of rabbity things. I think particularly determined rabbits could chew through it, but for rabbits like Charlie who just chewed and licked because they're naughty and think they're helping, it really does work amazingly.

Here are a couple of photos demonstrating Charlie in his shirt.

medicalpetshirt_3_zps41639e4b.jpg
medicalpetshirt_clean_zps87aadefc.jpg
medicalpetshirt_behind_zpsbaa397c2.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because I was really excited (as was my vet) about finding the Medical Pet Shirt and it actually working. I think it's really something that might help other bunnies out there who won't leave their stitches/wounds/surgical sites alone.

:thumb:

That's a great idea. I simply binned an e-collar some years back given bunny wouldnt have any of it. I just had to trust my bunny not to hurt herself. Fortunately she didn't but I didn't have a plan B!

I did laugh at his little bottom and tail sticking out! Very cute!

This is Hay Monster sporting a rather fetching medical pet shirt. Sadly, he couldn't wear his because, due to his problems, it unbalanced him of the little control he had (he had a scoliosis and 2 slipped discs), so he couldn't wear it more than this time. But they are a fab idea, that's for sure.

Hee! So cute. Poor little Hay Monster though. I've found Charlie does lose some, uh, nimbleness, I guess. He doesn't flop in his shirt, for instance. But I'll take that over an e-collar any day (I'm guessing he would too). I imagine a bunny with mobility issues might find the shirt difficult to wear.

Bunny bodies look so tiny in the shirts! And heads look so big.

Hi there,

I mentioned in my introduction thread that I decided to de-lurk because of a great little product I "discovered" when my naughty bunny Charlie decided to bother his surgical site post-neuter.

First, a bit of background on Charlie. He's a 1+ year old (mystery age!) little mixed breed (mystery breed!) dwarf rabbit. We're his third home, he wasn't neutered or vaccinated when we got him, and he's only young. Poor little munchkin. He flew through his neuter op, but post-surgery even though he was on Metacam he experienced some swelling and bruising, and he decided the best thing for this was to lick and chew his neuter site into a scabby mess. Stressed, I did some intense Googling and read every post-neuter post made on every rabbit forum ever (well, sort of) and came to the conclusion that e-collars + rabbits aren't a good mix. Amongst the sites found with my mad Googling, I came across this website, http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/index.php/en/medical-pet-shirts-en/the-medical-pet-shirt-nl but couldn't find any reviews for the product (Medical Pet Shirt) for rabbits. I had some questions. Would the Medical Pet Shirt cover Charlie's surgical site and still allow him to pee and poo even though he is a male rabbit? Would the Medical Pet Shirt stay on? Would Charlie even tolerate the shirt, or would he become depressed and stop eating? I found a site that sells the shirt online in Australia (where I live) and ordered the appropriate size for Charlie's weight. And... it's awesome.

The shirt is mostly cotton with a small percentage of Lycra for stretch. It's easy (with two people) to get on, and he hasn't ripped it off. Most importantly, after carefully adjusting the shirt so it was fitted properly, he couldn't lick or chew his surgical site allowing it to heal (the shirt breathes well because it's mostly cotton), and it's actually saved him from getting a second operation to clean up the mess he made initially. He can poo and pee and eat his caecotropes like a trooper, and the bottom of the shirt doesn't get dirty or wet from caecotropes, poo, and urine (another of my concerns). He can groom, hop around, drink water, and he isn't depressed about having to wear a little shirt day in day out until his surgical site heals completely. I think in many cases the Medical Pet Shirt would work much better than bandages and e-collars to keep bunny mouths away from healing wounds and stitches, and still allows rabbits to do all sorts of rabbity things. I think particularly determined rabbits could chew through it, but for rabbits like Charlie who just chewed and licked because they're naughty and think they're helping, it really does work amazingly.

Here are a couple of photos demonstrating Charlie in his shirt.

medicalpetshirt_3_zps41639e4b.jpg
medicalpetshirt_clean_zps87aadefc.jpg
medicalpetshirt_behind_zpsbaa397c2.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because I was really excited (as was my vet) about finding the Medical Pet Shirt and it actually working. I think it's really something that might help other bunnies out there who won't leave their stitches/wounds/surgical sites alone.

This looks just like what my naughty bun needs! She won't leave her wound alone & I can't put an e collar on her because I can see how much it stresses her out! She's a common Dutch, what size of shirt did you get for Charlie and what breed is he?

could have done with one of these after bisc and matt were neutered. matt was so good but bisc pulled open his stitches and had us at the emergency vets in the early hours :roll: :lol:

Back