• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

molar spurs and weight loss

My poor boy has spurs on his molars, he has lost weight and the vet has said despite him needing the spurs burring he cannot cope with the anesthetic whilst being so small so he needs to gain weight first. He is in pain though, just laying there looking sad. He is still eating and pooing ok but they are getting darker and smaller. I have had Zantac to give him but this has made no improvement. I don't know how much longer his little body can cope with this.

Has the vet given him painkiller? If not - demand one! The trouble with spurs is the mouth pain they cause so if you can reduce that you can increase eating.

They you want lots of high calorie, easy to eat foods. I'd suggest rolled oats (near porridge in the super market) mixed with water so make porridge, sofen some pellets with water and stir them into, or add a separate vitamin powder, and you can also mix in vegetable baby foods.

A little pure apple juice in the water will encourage drinking too.

the vet just said to give him Zantac as the spurs are apparently small and not causing ulcers. I am concerned about GI Stasis. I gave him so rolled oats earlier and he ate them, he is also drinking ok. He is still eating hay. He is a house bunny and the cage is just a base so has hay/food/water and litter tray and he has spent all day in there not coming out where as my other bun has been running around like crazy. Will ring the vet and see what she says. Is there anything I can give him to ease the pain??

the vet just said to give him Zantac as the spurs are apparently small and not causing ulcers. I am concerned about GI Stasis. I gave him so rolled oats earlier and he ate them, he is also drinking ok. He is still eating hay. He is a house bunny and the cage is just a base so has hay/food/water and litter tray and he has spent all day in there not coming out where as my other bun has been running around like crazy. Will ring the vet and see what she says. Is there anything I can give him to ease the pain??

Only that which a Vet needs to prescribe.

Is he actually eating less or has the weightloss occurred despite him eating normally ?

If he has spurs and has lost weight, he obviously isn't eating as much, because it hurts him to eat. Just because he doesn't have ulcers doesn't mean he isn't hurting. If your vet won't give him metacam you really, really need to see another vet asap. This could get serious very quickly. A lot of vets know very little about rabbit medicine, you need to find one who does. Start a new thread in chat asking for rabbit savvy vets in your area x

he has been eating normally. same amount of pellets and lots of hay and greens. The vet said to keep a food diary so she can monitor his food intake. Waiting for a call back.

Back