• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A little bit worried about flies

catpud

Warren Scout
I have just been sitting with the rabbits in their shed, feeding them a readigrass treat. I have noticed a few flies in there. They are cleaned twice a day in hot weather but the flies still seem to be drawn towards the shed. It was not lots of flies but there are two or three hanging around.

They were flopped out next to me munching away and one landed on Lexi :shock:

It has not left any eggs and I got the fly off within seconds.

They are small flies (not blue bottles, but not as small as midges if that makes sense ) are they still a danger to the rabbits?

They are both healthy and active but if they are dozing they might not notice the flies on them

I have a spider that has moved in the shed so I'm hoping this keeps the numbers down, and I have put Johnson fly strike protector spray around the shed door and gaps outside (not on the buns because it's a month out of date and I didn't think that would be safe, will get a new bottle tomorrow)

Is there anything I can do to make the shed less attractive to the flies? I'm getting quite worried.....

The little flies shouldn't be a threat, it's blow flies that are the problem. You could try hanging sticky flypaper in the shed, that's safe for rabbits as long as its hung where they can't touch it.

Flies

Lavender is apparently a very good fly repellent and so might work well outside the shed.

I've just bought these to put around my rabbit area http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00872VXRW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be working well so far!

The sticky fly strips are also very good.

I always have a Konk Spray going in my shed as well as a fly screen door. The Konk is not cheap especially as to start with you will need the spray timer as well as the can of spray, but in the long run it's cheaper than the vets and anyone who had had a rabbit with maggots will know the distress that causes.
Konk is available from Mole Valley Farmers who I have always found very good. Alternately another product is available which does the same job from The fly killer shop which can also be found online Prevent Auto it's called and that needs a dispenser also. They too are very good with a quick postage response.
Hope this helps.

Back